Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How to disable compression & indexing?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Compression
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 14, 2005 6:04:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I run XP Pro. All my disks are formatted NTFS.

-------------------------------

In Properties some of my disks have option to:

"Compress drive to save disk space".

But some of my disks don't have this. Can I prevent this option
appearing on all my disks?

-------------------------------

All my disks have an option to:

"Allow Indexing Service to index for fast file searching"

When I format a new disk this option enabled by default even
though I have disabled the Indexing Service (using Startup Type =
disabled).

Can I also prevent this option from appearing?

Can I change the default for this option to not allow indexing?

-------------------------------

Thank you for any help.
Zak


--

[posted to general, hardware and custom groups]

More about : disable compression indexing

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:04:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

You can't prevent the options from appearing, simply don't use them. The
indexing can be disabled in the system services (start/run services.msc).
Compressed files are treated and handled the same as normal files. While you
don't have to compress them, there is no change in how they are handled by
the system when called for.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
news:96B2151D66D2264A18E@204.153.244.156...
>I run XP Pro. All my disks are formatted NTFS.
>
> -------------------------------
>
> In Properties some of my disks have option to:
>
> "Compress drive to save disk space".
>
> But some of my disks don't have this. Can I prevent this option
> appearing on all my disks?
>
> -------------------------------
>
> All my disks have an option to:
>
> "Allow Indexing Service to index for fast file searching"
>
> When I format a new disk this option enabled by default even
> though I have disabled the Indexing Service (using Startup Type =
> disabled).
>
> Can I also prevent this option from appearing?
>
> Can I change the default for this option to not allow indexing?
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Thank you for any help.
> Zak
>
>
> --
>
> [posted to general, hardware and custom groups]
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:44:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:96B2151D66D2264A18E@204.153.244.156...
>
> All my disks have an option to:
>
> "Allow Indexing Service to index for fast file searching"
>
> When I format a new disk this option enabled by default even
> though I have disabled the Indexing Service (using Startup Type =
> disabled).
>
> Can I also prevent this option from appearing?

No

> Can I change the default for this option to not allow indexing?

This is a file attribute. It is not related whether the indexing service actually is enabled.
For the whole disk it probably refers to the root folder.

A good NG for further questions: microsoft.public.windows.file_system

Regards,
--PA
Related resources
August 15, 2005 10:04:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>I run XP Pro. All my disks are formatted NTFS.
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> In Properties some of my disks have option to:
>> "Compress drive to save disk space".
>> But some of my disks don't have this. Can I prevent this
>> option appearing on all my disks?
>>
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> All my disks have an option to:
>> "Allow Indexing Service to index for fast file searching"
>> When I format a new disk this option enabled by default even
>> though I have disabled the Indexing Service (using Startup Type
>> = disabled).
>>
>> Can I also prevent this option from appearing?
>> Can I change the default for this option to not allow indexing?
>>
>> -------------------------------



On Sun 14 Aug 2005 03:42:40, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
<news:ud3OZnHoFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>
>
> You can't prevent the options from appearing, simply don't use
> them. The indexing can be disabled in the system services
> (start/run services.msc). Compressed files are treated and
> handled the same as normal files. While you don't have to
> compress them, there is no change in how they are handled by the
> system when called for.

I am puzzled because if (as you say) the options can not be prevented
from appearing then why do some of my disks have the compress option
but others do not?

I would guess that there is something which has permitted that
difference.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:55:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:96B3B7EFD499264A18E@204.153.244.156...
>> "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> I am puzzled because if (as you say) the options can not be prevented
> from appearing then why do some of my disks have the compress option
> but others do not?
>
> I would guess that there is something which has permitted that
> difference.

I must admit that have never seen a *local* NTFS disk where compression
option is not visible. Perhaps your disks are formated with a different version of NTFS
so your Windows version does not fully understand it,
or pretty unusual permissions are set, or the disks appear as remote (neworked)
from whatever reason.
Again - microsoft.public.windows.file_system seems to be the most appropriate for this.

Regards,
--PA
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:01:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

Reasons they wouldn't appear:

- not NTFS (using FAT32)
- non-local (networked) drives

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
news:96B3B7EFD499264A18E@204.153.244.156...
>> "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>>I run XP Pro. All my disks are formatted NTFS.
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> In Properties some of my disks have option to:
>>> "Compress drive to save disk space".
>>> But some of my disks don't have this. Can I prevent this
>>> option appearing on all my disks?
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> All my disks have an option to:
>>> "Allow Indexing Service to index for fast file searching"
>>> When I format a new disk this option enabled by default even
>>> though I have disabled the Indexing Service (using Startup Type
>>> = disabled).
>>>
>>> Can I also prevent this option from appearing?
>>> Can I change the default for this option to not allow indexing?
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>
>
>
> On Sun 14 Aug 2005 03:42:40, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> <news:ud3OZnHoFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>
>>
>> You can't prevent the options from appearing, simply don't use
>> them. The indexing can be disabled in the system services
>> (start/run services.msc). Compressed files are treated and
>> handled the same as normal files. While you don't have to
>> compress them, there is no change in how they are handled by the
>> system when called for.
>
> I am puzzled because if (as you say) the options can not be prevented
> from appearing then why do some of my disks have the compress option
> but others do not?
>
> I would guess that there is something which has permitted that
> difference.
November 11, 2010 1:02:01 AM

FYI, if you set the allocation unit size (cluster size) >4k (4096 bytes) when formatting a hard drive then compression is not supported and therefore will not show the option to compress.
November 12, 2010 10:40:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!