Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What graphics card should i get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2012 11:36:51 AM

Hi,
I'm new and i would like to ask what graphics card should i get?

I have a 500 Watt power supply.

Thanks all.

More about : graphics card

July 29, 2012 11:39:19 AM

Oh yeah, and i have a $50-$80-i was thinking a GTX 460.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 11:42:05 AM

GTX 460 is great card, however, unless you buy it used, it costs around $130.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2012 11:43:28 AM

Sunius said:
GTX 460 is great card, however, unless you buy it used, it costs around $130.

problem is i can get a gtx 550 ti at msy for $117/$119.

Also i need a better moniter,-i have a asus VW222u.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 12:04:17 PM

MF8461 said:
problem is i can get a gtx 550 at msy for $117/$119.

Also i need a better moniter,-i have a asus VW222u.


the 460 is a stronger card than the 550.

GTX 460 (256-bit bus) > GTX 460 (192-bit bus) ~= GTX 550 Ti > GTX 550

A 550 for $117 isn't worth it at all. Even the 550 Ti for that amount would just be an ok deal. You can get better for the money.
Share
July 29, 2012 12:08:26 PM

quilciri said:
the 460 is a stronger card than the 550.

GTX 460 (256-bit bus) > GTX 460 (192-bit bus) ~= GTX 550 Ti > GTX 550

A 550 for $117 isn't worth it at all. Even the 550 Ti for that amount would just be an ok deal. You can get better for the money.

And also do you think i need to upgrade my moniter it is really old-resulotion-1650-1050, what do you think?Or should i get a ATI card-i'm worried about the drivers-my old computer lost its audio when installing the audio. :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 12:19:01 PM

MF8461 said:
And also do you think i need to upgrade my moniter it is really old-resulotion-1650-1050, what do you think?Or should i get a ATI card-i'm worried about the drivers-my old computer lost its audio when installing the audio. :( 


Whenever you get a new video card, best practice is to uninstall the old drivers completely before installing the new card.

Your monitor is about perfect. Card's in this range will run games at that resolution near max settings. You'd have to turn down settings @1920 in more demanding games to get good framerates with these cards.

good luck!
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 12:22:00 PM

quilciri said:
Whenever you get a new video card, best practice is to uninstall the old drivers completely before installing the new card.

Your monitor is about perfect. Card's in this range will run games at that resolution near max settings. You'd have to turn down settings @1920 in more demanding games to get good framerates with these cards.

good luck!

i am looking for a nvidia GPU-DVI
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 12:24:25 PM

MF8461 said:
i am looking for a nvidia GPU-DVI


Then the 192-bit 460 is the best deal I can find without more extensive searching, but both the 7770 and the 6850 are stronger cards.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 12:25:41 PM

anyway thanks for the help. :ange:  :) 
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 7:25:43 AM

MY problem is not solved-my power supply.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 8:01:35 AM

Really the card you should get depends a lot on your resolution. anything beyond 1600 x 900 will need hd 6770 or gtx 460 or greater. i would recommend the hd 6850 if res is more.( since that one uses much less power but gives much better performance)
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 9:18:10 AM

oh, thanks but i really need GOOD ADVICE. plus where can i buy a GTX 460 normally= refunds-in australia.
also i need a better case and better cooling since i've heard GTX's get fairly hot and noisy.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 12:34:28 PM

coolermaster case is the best in my opinion. go to their site and you should get what you are looking for.
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 5:50:45 AM

hyperbertha said:
coolermaster case is the best in my opinion. go to their site and you should get what you are looking for.

how about a thermaltake ms commander-II?
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 7:52:38 AM

are you limited at mid size tower?
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 10:52:34 AM

don't know-my specs
P8z77-m,8g Kingston hyper X 1600mhz ram, Coolmaster 500 watt-standard, 1.8 T western digital h.d.d.......
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 10:50:14 AM

i am limited at budget that's what i am limited at.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 9:41:40 AM

Best answer selected by Mf8461.
m
0
l
!