Sign in with
Your question

BIOS set to ALWAYS OFF but PC boots up after power is back

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2013 5:23:16 PM

Edit >

Hi!
I have a Gigabyte B75 mobo. I'm hoping to upgrade to Gigabyte H77-D3H soon (In a few days).
I have set my BIOS to stay ALWAYS OFF after a power faliure and power back on cycle. However my PC boots up again when it's supposed to be turned on by pressing the power button on the case. This is very annoying..
My PSU is seasonic X-650. Is this a BIOS error not storing the last power state properly?

Thanks in advance!
January 31, 2013 5:31:52 PM

That is really strange and it is not a newbie question at all.

I would try to reset the bios to factory defaults if there is an option inside the bios to do it. I would let it reboot into Windows and then reboot again and go back into the bios and change whatever you need to.
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2013 5:58:39 PM

This could be an issue with the case's power button itself in that it might always be in the "on" position electrically.

If your case has a reset button, disconnect the power switch header from the motherboard front panel header. Then, attach the reset switch to the power switch position. Power your system up.

Cut the power to simulate a power outage. Reconnect the power. Any difference?
Related resources
January 31, 2013 6:05:29 PM

COLGEEK's step would be after you've tried my step.
January 31, 2013 6:07:33 PM

@COLGeek - Tried it right away. Shorted the pins on mobo and booted but still after power is turned on the system boots up..
It's 01.36AM here and I'm so frustrated by this issue..
January 31, 2013 6:10:48 PM

@danny2000 - Yes I did it before doing COLGeek's but both seemd to do nothing. I'm guessing a faulty PCF switch on PSU??
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2013 6:21:16 PM

Is your BIOS retaining settings during these events?
January 31, 2013 6:27:02 PM

@COLGeek - BIOS has no problem. My RIG is just one month old. Everything is new. When I asked this from the guy who I got my PSU from he said this is normal. He's either dumb or playing dumb. This is seriously not normal when you set BIOS to stay down and it won't stay down.. All others settings (case open, cpu clock, lights, fans..etc settings are stored in BIOS and working properly)
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2013 6:32:41 PM

Are you using the most current BIOS version?

BTW, this is definitely NOT normal. The guy is simply wrong or a liar.
January 31, 2013 6:37:09 PM

@COLGeek - I'm using the most recent BIOS version. Any idea what is causing this? PSU or mobo?
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2013 6:44:37 PM

Hard to say, but easy to isolate if you have another PSU to swap in for testing.
February 1, 2013 1:46:04 AM

@COLGeek - I don't have another PSU to test. I guess I'll have to take the components (psu and mobo) for testing. I'm assuming this is likey a psu fault as I didn't had this problem with my old 500w psu..
February 1, 2013 3:24:54 AM

Just breadboard it first and test it that way.
February 1, 2013 4:08:08 AM

danny2000 said:
Just breadboard it first and test it that way.

I don't have the proper tooles to do that. Since PSU fan never spins under little load. I called a PSU sho and they told me it is a static build up problem in the PSU. They told me to send the PSU back for warranty as if there's a power surge after a failiure, the PSU would turn on with the surge, giving high voltage to components and damaging them..
I think they're correct..
February 1, 2013 4:29:52 AM

you don't need any tools to bread board it.

All that you're doing is getting a large piece of cardboard and taking out the motherboard from the case and the power supply. ie. nothing at all is connected to the computer case.
February 1, 2013 5:49:35 AM

danny2000 said:
you don't need any tools to bread board it.

All that you're doing is getting a large piece of cardboard and taking out the motherboard from the case and the power supply. ie. nothing at all is connected to the computer case.

Please explain what is breadboarding (I might have a wrong idea) and what am I expecting from this and what am I looking for..
February 1, 2013 5:30:54 PM

What you are doing is totally eliminating the possibility of the actual computer case of being a source of the problem.

This involves taking the motherboard, hard drive, and power supply of the computer case. (put the computer case in another part of the house ie. nothing at all is connected to the case during the your test).

Lay the motherboard, hard drive, and power supply on card board and test the system to see if your problem still persists. If it still persists, you know that it is not the case that is causing the problem.
!