AMD GPU Problems

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
i have a Sapphire 7770Ghz Oc Edition Card to Some this Is Also Known As A Sapphire 7770 Oc Edition idk Why they Drop The Ghz Part When Talkin Reviews About It But Alwel Anyways i got this card 3 weeks ago and then 2nd day after finish buildin my new pc the 7770 was playing up

im talking about keeps giving me a black/red/white/grey/blue screen sometimes with lines and then recovers but as the days went on it got worser and the recovery's would get less frequent and would just stay at that screen untill i restart my pc sometimes it would drop the display sync as in im playin a game or on the net and suddenly i get a black screen on my monitor saying that no input detected and ive tryed VGA DVI and HDMI and all did the same thing i would also

get artifacts in my demanding games like BF3 and get most of the problems when playing these games would also happen as soon as i log into my computer so i decided thats it i cant take it so i sent it to my retailer where they tested it and what you know it didnt play up on them and this retailer is very reliable and they wouldnt get cheap or give me back a faulty card they are very customer frendly and havnt had one issue with them anyways

the card didnt play up on them and i used the 12.6 and 12.7 cata both tryed out and both when installing them used driver sweeper to clean all the amd drivers for a clean install and installed each atleast 2 or 3 times just to make sure it had been installed right and ive tryed increasing my voltages by 5% and didnt see any improvement and also tryed different pcie power plugs since i have a antec 650w dual 12v power supply and both didnt improve

and while its away ive been tryin out my system to see if it was my system and ive played some games with my processor even bf3 on really low settings and for a even better test i used fraps while playin bf3 and i only have the one HDD and so i was recording for the whole time i played and didnt screw up once so my system didnt play up once while my 7770 is away and as im waiting for my card to come back this week any 1 got any ideas i should try if it plays up again

?? and soz for this long message their was so much to let u guys know b4 u answer and my specs are

cpu: i5 3450 and yes i know it uses 2500 graphics
ram: kingston hyperx ram 1600c9 4gb x 2 ram sticks
motherboard: Gigabyte GA - H77 - D3H - MVP

i also have a wireless card in the pci slot and i have 4 120mm fans and 1 180 or 200mm fan on the side

so any 1 got any ideas what my problem is or how to fix it if it happens again when i get my card back ?? im planning on getting another Sapphire 7770Ghz Oc edition card to crossfire but i also was getting it incase it came back non faulty and was still havin issues with it to test if its my system or the faulty 7770

Solution
That would be great and I hope everything works out ok without costing a lot of money. I will keep my fingers crossed and good luck.

DM186

Splendid
Well two things that could be wrong. It could be your PSU on the power cords from the PSU is a problem inside the PSU or you have a faulty PCIe x 16 slot on the MOBO. The only way to be sure.

Is to take a GPU that does not require a 6 pin connector and plug it in and see if you get the same problem. Now on your PSU the only way to check it is with a volt meter or put another PSU in and see if you get the same problem.

What is the brand of your PSU I know the watts is 650w and that is way over and above what you really need. So to sume it up PSU or MOBO are the problem. Don't mess with the voltage to your GPU.

Have you OC'd anything and not what came from the store? Did you OC anything? If you did put it back to normal settings Let us know what is going on with what I have ask you. Good luck.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
i have not OC'd anything and never will and i downclocked the card and that caused more problems and so your saying the psu is faulty when every other component works with the psu ? and if it was the pcie 3.0 16x wouldnt it be a problem for the other slots as well not just the one slot if so then i have a card in a pci slot and theirs no problems wat so ever with that and its a wireless card if ur wondering i dnt have the money for another power supply and have no other graphic cards to test on my system im getting the same one nxt week thou so if nothing is wrong with that one but the other card is still playin up would it be that card then or ? and the powersupply is a antec its 650w and has a dual 12v rail and ive tryed both and i only increased the voltage when i was havin the problems and only by 5% and reason i did that is because some people said that sometimes factory overclock cards when playin up arnt getting enough power

DM186

Splendid

Why would you down clock your card? All I was stating is if you OC's your card then return it to it's normal settings. With a 650w PSU you don't need to increase any power to the card.

It has enough power going to it. Do you have to plug a 6 pin connector from the PSU to the card? If yes what I was saying is that inside your PSU that cable and the other cable just like it comming from the same spot in the PSU.

It could be having a problem with what is in side your PSU. If you have more than one PCIe x 16 slot they also could have a problem on your MOBO both of them or how ever many of them.

By your own words you stated your GPU when you sent it back to the retailor and they tested it and said that there is nothing wrong with it. So that leaves me to think it could be the PSU or the MOBO.

Either I am not understanding or you mean one thing and writing down something else but believe or not I am trying to help and I am sorry if you don't want to hear the answers that suggest it could be your MOBO or PSU.

You have a nice PSU but even nice things sometimes go wrong. There is one more thing that could cause that problem it is your RAM. To check RAM you can put one stick in at a time and also run memtest86+.

I can link it to you. When you say playing up do you mean acting up? When I say PCIe slots I only mean the one's that your GPU goes into. There could be problems with just those parts of the MOBO.

Just because one part of the MOBO isn't working right doesn't mean all of the MOBO is bad and the same thing for the PSU. Just because one part in the PSU is faulty doesn't mean all of the PSU is no good.

Are you watching your temps while playing games? If yes what program are you using to monitor your temps? What are your temps at the time your graphics start to loose the signal to the monitor?

If this is to much for you let me know and I will step it down a little and work at it step by step. Good luck and I hope we can get this problem fixed.

http://www.memtest.org/

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
so your saying even thou nothing on my motherboard is playing up one slot can be not working but every other slot and every thing else on the mobo can be still working ? im new to all this so can u tell me how would that work to me i thort of it as a one whole thing not individual parts on a motherboard or inside a psu and when i said its playing up i said what it was doing and im using msi afterburner while playin games to watch my fps and temps and gpu usage and memory usage i did have memory problems but i fix that... the problems that i fixed with my memory was it was 1333 on my motherboard when its suppost to be 1600mhz so i changed that by enableing XMB and after that was still kinda playing up so i turned on the 3GB switch and it was fixed and so explain me to how one single feature can be defective on a mobo or inside a psu and dosent affect anything else but just the one thing im new so i need to know how it can

and soz if i sound snappy im not just how i type i really dnt mean it in a bad way i want my pc to work so im open to anything

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
and i never over clocked anything and never have and never plan to

because i bought parts for a pc that would be great with its factory overclocked or stock settings i just upgrade i dnt wanna overclock anything

DM186

Splendid
Yes I am saying that one thing in your MOBO can go bad and everything eles is still good. The same with your PSU. One or both slots that you plug your GPU's in could be bad.

The cable or cables coming from your PSU could be bad. A part in the PSU sending power to the cables going to your card could be bad. And still there could be a problem with your GPU.

These are the only way to find out what the problem is.
1. Use a volt meter to check your PSU or put another PSU in and see.
2. Use a GPU that does not require a cable from the PSU to test the slots to show you if your MOBO is good or not. If you know someone to barrow it from.
3. When you get your card back you check it in another PC to make sure it works ok.
4. The last thing is to take your whole PC to a shop and have someone check everything out.

Those it what your choices are to getting it fixed. We know it isn't the RAM , CPU, Hard drive, and the monitor. The reason we call rule this out is because. You said you fix RAM problem already.

We know the monitor is good because you played game on the integrated GPU with out probles and theat goes for the CPU and your Hard dirve as well. We are not 100% sure about the GPU it is unknown.

So that leaves the PSU and the MOBO. You know it isn't the cables going from the PC to the monitor either. You could try to reset your Cmos but I doubt that would fix it.

The Cmos is the little round silver thing on the MOBO it looks like big coin. Just pop it out wait 10 min then pop it back in. The will reset everything in your system. Like I said I don't think that is the problem.

I under stand what you are saying about the OC'ing. You did not OC anything but you upgraded to a OC'd GPU and you are never planing on do so either. When you get your card back let us know and we will go from there good luck.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
ok thnx and about the gpu when i did have it i have sapphire trixx installed and the destop widget and thats displays everything about my card the core frequency and the memory frequency and teh temp and fan speed and usage of the gpu and memory on the gpu and the watts being used and remember seeing that the gpu said it was using 120w so dose that rule out the psu or could it still be doin what the card is asking but it still dosent work very well or such ? and dose a 6450 require power from the psu? or can that be used off the pcie 3.0 slot cause i have a 6450 here but dunno whats it need and what cards do u know of that dont need a psu and just can run off the motherboard power

DM186

Splendid
The 6450 will work to test the PCIe slots on the MOBO. The 6450 does not require a extra power cord from the PSU. It gets it's power from the MOBO. It will work with your PSU so you don't have to worry about that.

All you have to do is plug it in one of the slots hook up the cable that goes to your monitor and kind of play a few game's not BF3 that card will not work well if at all with BF3.

Try another game and see if the problem happens again. If it does then we know it could be the the MOBO or the PSU for sure. This test does rule out the GPU for sure being the cause.

So then the next thing to do is try another PSU and see if your problem clears up or it doesn't do anything. If it clears up then it is the PSU was the problem. If it doesn't clear up then it for sure is the MOBO.

I know you are going to say I can't get another PSU. Do you have a old PSU laying around from an old PC?. When I see people throw out a PC working or not I get it and take everything apart and test everything.

The stuff that is good I keep the rest I throw it away. See what you can do and let us know ok? Good luck.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Wow this ain't closed yet ? ok someone close this please ? and oh btw it had nothing to do with anything really I sent back the card they said it was fine though all the tests when I got it back I had no issue kinda weird really

DM186

Splendid

You first have to pick the best answer to close it out. That is good and bad news. Well I hope everythings is working out for you.