Gaming Rig Build - Comments/Suggestions!

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hey guys! Just want you all to check out the list for my gaming rig! Hope to hear your feedbacks about this!

Build 1

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Memory

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti SONIC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R

Power Supply: Seasonic (M12II) 620watts 80PLUS Bronze

Optical Drive: Asus 24x Sata

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212

Build 2:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Memory

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti SONIC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R

Power Supply: Seasonic (M12II) 620watts 80PLUS Bronze

Optical Drive: Asus 24x Sata

Usage: Gaming>Movies>Surfing Net
Budget: Php 40,000 to 45,000
Website: http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub
http://pcx.com.ph/

1. Are they all compatible with each other?
2. What are the possible problems I may encounter with this set-up?
3. If it's possible, can you make any revisions to my build?

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Your build is great. Everything is balanced, and your choice of PSU is solid. Only thing would be to ask whether you're planning to SLI in the future, as that would require a PSU with more power.

For the cooler, the Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 is a very popular and cost-effective solution. I'd go with that. The Ares' low profile RAM will also eliminate any issues that would occur with the heatsinks from the other G.Skill RAM modules.

Also, you might be more safe going with an SSD from Samsung or Crucial, since I've heard that OCZ are pretty dodgy on their SSD's. The ones from Samsung and Crucial on the other hand are very reliable. But this is what I've heard. You might want to do some of your own research if you're concerned about this.

malbluff

Honorable
Yes. Definitely change SSD. Agility 3 are c**p. You will need to get aftermarket cooler, if you want to overclock. The "stock" one, supplied with processor is not adequate if you want to OC. As bennaye suggested, the 212 Evo is a good budget choice, for all but the most extreme overclocking.

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
560Ti. Lol. Drop that SSD. All 60Gbs will get you is an OS and like 2 programs.
You can always add in the future.

Do you plan on OCing? If not, get this build:

i5 3470
Asrock H77M
Sapphire 7950 3Gb DDR5 (Oc ed)
Seasonic M12II 620W
Corsair 500R
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4Gb 1600

This all comes out to around 40k Php or so. Its actually my build but with some revisions lol. (check my sig)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would agree that you should probably change the PSU. I did a little checking around, and it doesn't sound like that particular Antec is very good: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7504 the one recommended by Nw333 is bound to be a great one (Seasonic is a top notch manufacturer), you can also consider Corsair, PC Power & Cooling as good brands (and any rated highly on this list http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx but it's always best to cross-reference with jonnygure/hardwaresecrets/etc to be sure you don't get a bad unit)

True the SSD won't buy you any gaming performance, where a better GPU is going to help you out alot for long-term gaming performance.

However a 60GB SSD is plenty if you use it effectively. I use a 60GB SSD (mines a vertex3 , but I got it because my Vertex2 failed, Samsung/Crucial aren't a bad idea), I move my Users/ProgramData and Temp folders off the SSD, follow most of these steps: http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/

Lastly, learn to use mklink, you can use it to relocate games. I keep steam itself on my SSD, my steamapps folder on my HDD, and relocate a few games I'm playing to my SSD. The same practices can be used to move anything except windows system files/folders.

For me, 60GB is more than enough with a little proactive management. But NW333 raises a good point that you could put the money for the SSD somewhere more effective for gaming (though you lose the general responsiveness an SSD gets you, which is awesome as well) .

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I would actually not buy any OCZ products as they seem to be failing a lot recently with firmware updates and all that. Being the beings that SSDs are, they are sometimes not fully reliable. Worst case is it takes your files and breaks down completely. (I think. Lol.)
Samsung, Sandisk, and Crucial is what your supposed to be looking at for SSDs. :)

malbluff

Honorable

Is there an issue with Antec Basiq, or is it just that one. Not used them, myself, but had thought they were one of the better budget PSU's (obviously not as good as Seasonic), plus you can get them modular, not common at that price and size?

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Ive had no experience with Antec. Although from what Ive heard, their PSUs that compare to the M12IIs are the High Current Gamer series. Feel free to disagree. :)

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion about the cooler. I'll edit the build and include that in it. Thanks a lot! :D

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for your feedback malbuff. :D Good thing that aftermarket cooler is available here. :D

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Actually, I really have no experience OCing. But I'm not sure if I'll try it later on or not. I was planning to get the SSD for just my OS. But you do have a point that I could just add it up in the future. If I do drop the SSD, should I use it to get a 660 Ti instead of a 560 Ti?

malbluff

Honorable

If you've got the funds to do it, yes, get the 660Ti, good bit better than 560Ti (although that's not too shabby either).

malbluff

Honorable
Certainly agree, over a broad range of games, the AVERAGE performance of 7950 is better than 660Ti, but 660Ti is actually BETTER in some games, and 7950 is more expensive (even if only a bit). Which is better value, is debatable, especially if OP is already "stretching"" to get 660Ti. Almost kinda depends which games he likes.

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
If you don't mind me asking, what's the importance of OCing? I was thinking about changing my CPU to a non K one as well as changing my MoBo as well if OCing was not really something that I needed. :))

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
OCing isnt much of a necessity. It is a nice thing to have in the future incase you feel your computer is getting slow, but it wont provide you much FPS in games. (5 to maybe 10 fps.) Im pretty sure it voids your CPU warranty and there is a risk to it but OCing these days is easy and almost (ALMOST) risk free as long as you have an aftermarket heatsink.

jesterlanz

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Is there any alternative for the MoBo? I kinda like the ATX form :D

malbluff

Honorable
Lots of manufacturers do H77 in ATX format, eg Asus P8H77-v. It's just a question of what's available, where you are. Of course, there's nothing to STOP you using Z77, just because you aren't overclocking. It's just that H77 gives you all you need, cheaper.

malbluff

Honorable
Looking pretty good, now, if you definitely don't want overclocking abilities.
620w for PSU is more than you NEED, but there's nothing wrong with having a bit in hand, with a good PSU, which that one IS.
Still think you'd be better off with a different graphics card. Nothing WRONG with the 560Ti, it was a very good card, in it's day, but that's the point; it's been superceded by better, more efficient cards. It's no longer the best value for money. The 660Ti, or even the HD7950, are probably best, short of very expensive cards, if you have the funds, but even the plain 660, or HD7870, would be better, without a big spend, compared to 560Ti.