Sign in with
Your question

Build results; final thoughts/ questions

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2012 7:38:22 AM

-Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail
-Zotac GeForce GTX 680 AMP 1.1GHZ 2GB 6.6GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card (SLI in the future)
-ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply
-8/16GB ddr3 (haven't got a specific one yet)
-Acer AL1716 (I will be using this in the mean time)
-1TB harddrive in the future (see Questions)
-SSD in the future
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit in the future (see Questions)
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120mm (not sure if this is a good one to go for)
- Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste NON-ELECTRICAL Conductive 4 Gram
Already Bought:
- Cooler Master HAF 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
- Cooler Master Megaflow 200MM Red LED Case Fan 700RPM for HAF932 922 Cosmos S Atcs 840 Storm Sniper
- Keyboard, mouse, monitor (above), hdd (above)

Overclocking: Not really, although I will be using Turbo boost. The Intel Core i7 3770K can't overclock that well anyway. Same with my GPU.
Main uses: Gaming, editing, coding, etc.

Tell me what you think.

Questions:
1 -As for the HDD, I'm going to be using my old 232GB until I get a new 1TB one, would it work? It uses a 4-pin molex connector and a SATA power connector (like this: )
2 -I most likely wont be able to get win7 right away, so I'm wondering if windows xp will be fine.
3 -How do I check what harddrive my OS is located on
4 -If winsows xp isn't on my 232GB one and instead my 80GB one, how would I put it on my 232GB one? (If it's not on the 80GB one, could xp fit on it since I'm going to be using the single 80gb harddrive for a second machine)
5 -On my HAF912 case there are a few things that wont fit/ don't know where to put in my current old motherboard, I'm wondering if they would fit in the sabertooth: HDAUDIO / AC'97 (I'm assuming these are for the front audio jacks) their pins look like this:
o_ooo
ooooo
along with a USB cord and it's pins I think are like:
_oooo
ooooo
6 -My current DVD drives don't appear to work. When I try to open it, a green light comes on then it makes a loud click noise as if it's suck. The other one doesn't even do anything, I'm not sure if it works or not. If I can't use these on my new build what cheap DVD drive for installing windows xp/7 would you recommend?
7 -Is the fan on the side of the case better as an intake or exhaust?

More about : build results final thoughts questions

September 17, 2012 8:59:07 AM

Wow that's an amazing Graphic card you got there.

Questions -
1. Yes it would work.
2. Windows 7 would work perfectly and yes XP will be fine.
3. Go to "My computer" and check on which drive there is a windows icon.
4. You can't shift an OS from one HDD to another, you'll have to install a new one.
5. It'll fit.
6. There's something wrong with the drive. Look for any Lite-On/Asus drive.
7. Exhaust
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:15:19 AM

arzbhatia said:
Wow that's an amazing Graphic card you got there.

Questions -
1. Yes it would work.
2. Windows 7 would work perfectly and yes XP will be fine.
3. Go to "My computer" and check on which drive there is a windows icon.
4. You can't shift an OS from one HDD to another, you'll have to install a new one.
5. It'll fit.
6. There's something wrong with the drive. Look for any Lite-On/Asus drive.
7. Exhaust

Thanks.

Uhmm there is no windows icon. Also I just remembered I have a 32bit version, urgh. I'm thinking of getting some cheap 8GB ddr3 and then upgrading later on so that I can afford a win 7 64bit oem. Even though it's oem I can still install it as many times on different harddrives as long as it's the same motherboard, correct?
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:26:43 AM

Get the 212 EVO instead of the +. It's much easier to install and clean.
m
l
!