Sign in with
Your question

CPU temperatures rising and falling

Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2013 11:08:58 PM

I had replaced the thermal paste from my CPU a few days ago and am now noticing fluctuations in temperature. Before the re-application, my CPU would run at 34 C while watching videos and running a Skype call. Upon replacement, my CPU runs at 36 C idle. When in use for web browsing, temps will increase to 37 C, 42 C, drop back to 37C, then to 34 C, and raise again to 40 C. This process occurs withing a span of seconds and repeats often.

The paste used before and after the change was Arctic Silver 5. I applied a pea-sized amount and spread the paste using the heat sink. The heat sink is making direct contact with the chip, and the fan is operating normally. When removing the paste, I used generic tissue.

What could be resulting in these inconsistent temperatures?
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 11:30:54 PM

when you remove t.paste you need to use 40-90% alcohol for it to be "fully" removed
January 31, 2013 11:42:51 PM

Is this a common result of not using the alcohol?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 11:52:49 PM

well im not 100% sure but if you dont use it you will have some remains of old thermal paste which decreases heat spreading
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 11:55:02 PM

i suggest you replace the paste and use rubbing alcohol + soft cloth to wipe it clean

then post again if it doesnt work, and you can also check that the cpu / heatsink doesnt have scratches etcetc
!