Plaese help with (possibly broken) quest: The Missing Dipl..

Hi all,

have any of you had problems with this quest?

My problem is the part about defeating pvt. Hendel in Dustwallow Marsh. I
tried it when I was to low lvl and failed a couple of times. I then decided
I would come back later and do it, but now it seems top be broken. When I
got outthere I couldn't talk to him or attack him, so I went back the mage
who'd told me where he was. He sounded like I had competed the q but I
couldn't press accept. I then tried abandoning the q thinkning I could just
get it again from the archmage, but now he won't talk to me at all. I tried
going back a few steps (to the bartender in Menethil), but noone will talk
to me.

So does anyone know how to solve this problem? I could live with having to
do everything all over again, but can't remember how I originally obtained
the q. Can anyone please tell me, so I can try and get it again.

TIA for any help.

Devast8or

The same problem happened to me. I had abandoned the quest after I had
failed it and it would not regenerate. Finally, I checked back with Pvt.
Hendel and the yellow exclamation point was above his head again and I was
able to accept the quest again and finally defeat him.

So try Pvt. Hendel one more time.

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> have any of you had problems with this quest?
>
> My problem is the part about defeating pvt. Hendel in Dustwallow Marsh. I
> tried it when I was to low lvl and failed a couple of times. I then
> decided
> I would come back later and do it, but now it seems top be broken. When I
> got outthere I couldn't talk to him or attack him, so I went back the mage
> who'd told me where he was. He sounded like I had competed the q but I
> couldn't press accept. I then tried abandoning the q thinkning I could
> just
> get it again from the archmage, but now he won't talk to me at all. I
> tried
> going back a few steps (to the bartender in Menethil), but noone will talk
> to me.
>
> So does anyone know how to solve this problem? I could live with having to
> do everything all over again, but can't remember how I originally obtained
> the q. Can anyone please tell me, so I can try and get it again.
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> Devast8or

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Devast8or <invalid@invalid.invalid> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> Hi all,
>
> have any of you had problems with this quest?

If Steven's solution doesn't work, go back to the start - Stormwind. You
need to speak to either Thomas (the Altar boy) or Bishop DeLavey (not
sure which one starts the quest). If you still have the note to the
cheese shop guy or Watcher Backus or the Defias note, you could try
delivering it again, but if that doesn't work then you have to destroy
it (and any other items you were given).

Good luck

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> Devast8or <invalid@invalid.invalid> stared blankly into space for a
> short while before writing:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> have any of you had problems with this quest?
>
> If Steven's solution doesn't work, go back to the start -
> Stormwind. You need to speak to either Thomas (the Altar boy) or
> Bishop DeLavey (not sure which one starts the quest). If you still
> have the note to the cheese shop guy or Watcher Backus or the
> Defias note, you could try delivering it again, but if that doesn't
> work then you have to destroy it (and any other items you were
> given).

Also, it might be worth visiting all the people in the chain, to see if
any of them have a yellow ! over them. Let's see... there's...

The altar boy
The bishop
The cheese-shop guy
The ruffian in the back alley in SW
Slim whats-his-name in Menethil
Watcher Backus in Dustwallow marsh
Probably others I can't remember

--
Doc

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in message

> Also, it might be worth visiting all the people in the chain, to see if any of
> them have a yellow ! over them. Let's see... there's...
>
> The altar boy
> The bishop
> The cheese-shop guy
> The ruffian in the back alley in SW
> Slim whats-his-name in Menethil
> Watcher Backus in Dustwallow marsh
> Probably others I can't remember

It's...

Thomas the Altar Boy in SW Cathedral
Bishop DeLavey in the SW Castle
*Jorgen the fisherman* in the Valley of Heroes (the "moat" at the SW main gate)
Elling Trias in the SW cheese shop
Watcher Backus wandering the road to Darkshire...

And I can't tell you beyond that as I'm still doing it :)

--
Paul

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Paul Catley <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> stared blankly into
space for a short while before writing:
> "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Also, it might be worth visiting all the people in the chain, to
>> see if any of them have a yellow ! over them. Let's see...
>> there's... The altar boy
>> The bishop
>> The cheese-shop guy
>> The ruffian in the back alley in SW
>> Slim whats-his-name in Menethil
>> Watcher Backus in Dustwallow marsh
>> Probably others I can't remember
>
> It's...
>
> Thomas the Altar Boy in SW Cathedral
> Bishop DeLavey in the SW Castle
> *Jorgen the fisherman* in the Valley of Heroes (the "moat" at the
> SW main gate) Elling Trias in the SW cheese shop
> Watcher Backus wandering the road to Darkshire...
>
> And I can't tell you beyond that as I'm still doing it :)

Thanks for the correction, I did it about 3 months ago so the memory is
kinda hazy :)

--
Doc

Steven Ross wrote:
> The same problem happened to me. I had abandoned the quest after I
> had failed it and it would not regenerate. Finally, I checked back
> with Pvt. Hendel and the yellow exclamation point was above his head
> again and I was able to accept the quest again and finally defeat him.
>
> So try Pvt. Hendel one more time.

Perfect, this did the trick. Thanks a lot everyone.

Devast8or