Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help on finding psu that will fit into mid-size atx case

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2013 12:40:52 AM

ok soo ive been wanting to upgrade my power supply, anyone know of any that will fit into mine.. and im affraid that the motherboard im buying wont fit into the case either. if the motherboard is 12 inches and the power supply is 3 inches in height, is it ok if they overlap over eachother? not sure if y'all understand what i mean. if y'all could recommend any psus that would fit :D 
Motherboard:
ATX
Dimensions
12" x 8.6"

Computer case:Mid-size ATX

Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)
help would be greatly appriciated :D 
a c 149 ) Power supply
a c 425 V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 1:43:33 AM

Any ATX PSU will fit a std ATX, mid ATX case. But your case's dimensions seem to indicate that it might possibly be a mid ATX. If so, the full sized ATX board may not fit. Please tell us the make/model of your case. The board and PSU too.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 11:23:40 AM

do you plan on adding a graphics card and what is your budget?

for budget PSU check out the antec neo eco and corsair CX series. they are priced well, offer plenty of real world power starting at around 400w. both brands also offer different series of PSU at different price points and power to fit various needs.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 11:25:38 AM

Case is mATX
Board is ATX
Won't work
Score
February 1, 2013 12:56:12 PM

Do y'all know of any motherboard that will work with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 that is mATX?

@dirtyferret
i already have graphics card :p 

So do i need to find a PSU and motherboard that say mATX? i thought ATX was able to fit into a mATX xd
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 1:01:41 PM

what is the graphics card? different cards use varying amount of power that your PSU needs to meet.

also, the HP may have proprietary audio, power, HDD light, and reset connections. you should check them out

are you planning to re-use your HP copy of windows? It may not work with a non-HP BIOS on the new mobo
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 1:58:39 PM

Erm, why not just buy a new case? Most cases that come with pre-built PCs make it as hard as possible for people to upgrade.

Here's a decent case with a 420W PSU included. Not the best, but plenty for your requirement.
Cooler Master Elite 311 with 420W PSU - $55

It will also easily fit your chosen motherboard, which also happens to cost $10 less on Amazon.
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 - $89

Do you already have the graphics card? This is a much better card for the same money.
HIS H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 - $90

February 1, 2013 2:56:21 PM

@Zero_

That seems great! would i just need a HDD/DVDw to make a new PC?
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 3:03:53 PM

I agree with zero. Just get a new case. You can 're-use your hdd and disc drive. The hdd will need a clean OS install
Score
February 1, 2013 7:06:27 PM

Best answer selected by xcarlittosx.
Score
!