CPU overheating ????

dia_naji

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I built a gaming rig back in March 2012 and for some reason my cpu is starting to overheat. I play about 30-40 minutes of gameplay, take crysis 3 for example the beta of course ;) it just shuts down.... I have proper air flow and nine fans ! Could it be the cpu has gone bad, or do i need to apply new thermal paste, or probably a new heat sink ?? I monitor the cpu as i play any game. usually shuts at 98 C. I know that is really hot for a cpu

Specs.
CPU : AMD 1090t @ 3.2 ghz, voltage 1.375
GPU: Nvidia gtx 460 cyclone 1 gb gddr5
PSU: Thermatake 650 watts.
Ram: 8 gb ram
Motherboard: biostar A870U3 Ver. 6.x

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if your heat sync/fan is cooling adequately? I had a stock Intel cooler one time that the fan wouldn't come up to full speed on. The CPU was always hot. Do you have Cool & Quiet enabled? Maybe turn it off and see if it makes a difference. The TIM being less than a year old shouldn't make that much difference that quick.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would be suspicious of the cooler's fan not functioning properly. If you don't have another cooler to swap it with, ebay has several of those big 4 heat pipe stock coolers for sale cheap. I just bought a used one for my own (used) 1095T I'm going to be playing with as soon as I get time.

Or are you using an after-market cooler?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Only if the fan is working improperly; not coming up to full speed. Or if the cooler was installed incorrectly. Or if the TIM was removed and not replaced. In a properly vented case with proper air flow, the stock cooler is more than adequate to cool the processor at stock speeds. What case do you have the 1090T in? Has the CPU been normal temperature in the past; did this just start happening?

dia_naji

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
It just started happening.. I mean there is no way it's the case. Because my gpu is always cool due to the 11 fans I have on it. Can You recomend any cpu fan/ hetsink ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

One of these Hyper 212s will be more than adequate even for overclocking. I have the EVO on my i5-2500K.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006648&isNodeId=1&Description=COOLER+MASTER+Hyper+212+&x=23&y=14
Be sure you have the clearance in your case and any obstructions like memory and chipset/VR heat syncs.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
11 fans? Does the case lift off during use??

Anyway, clutchc has good suggestions.

My first recommendation is to remove, thoroughly dust, and reseat your heatsink. A lot of the time simple dust buildup is responsible for CPU overheating, because those stock Intel heatsinks are dust magnets. If that doesn't do it, then buy an aftermarket cooler. I'll add my recommendation of the Hyper 212 Evo to clutchc's - I've got one on my i5 3570k and it works great, it keeps me cool and is very quiet. It is fairly tall, though - what case are you using?

dia_naji

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
As i was taking apart my desktop I was looking at the cpu fan I noticed a large amount of dust inside the fan. I just air blasted all of the dust and my temperatures don't even go higher than 50 C when gaming for hours :) Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out. Probably should have done that earlier

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Glad to hear all is working normal now. I guess I assumed the first thing you'd have done was blow the dust out.