Rechargeable battery advise

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 26, 2005 3:24:34 AM

After splashing out on a Maha charger and some 2500mAh batteries, I'd like a
straight answer on what state they are best stored in - fully charged or
fully drained. I've seen conflicting opinions on both, but it seems to lean
towards keeping them fully charged and occasionally re-charging them to keep
the charge level full.

Is this the case? I can see me going a few months between battery changes
sometimes at quiet times of the year and I don't want to ruin these
batteries.

September 26, 2005 3:24:35 AM

"al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> After splashing out on a Maha charger and some 2500mAh batteries, I'd like
> a straight answer on what state they are best stored in - fully charged or
> fully drained. I've seen conflicting opinions on both, but it seems to
> lean towards keeping them fully charged and occasionally re-charging them
> to keep the charge level full.
>
> Is this the case? I can see me going a few months between battery changes
> sometimes at quiet times of the year and I don't want to ruin these
> batteries.

Store them fully charged.
Top them off before use.

Jerry
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 3:24:35 AM

I quote from page 147 of my Sony DSC-F828 manual: "If the battery pack is
not to be used for a long time do the following procedure once per year to
maintain proper function: 1) Fully charge the battery, 2) Discharge on your
camera, 3) Remove the battery and store in a dry, cool place." The camera
has a slide show feature that one can set to repeat until the battery is
exhausted. The camera uses "Infolithium" batteries.

"al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> After splashing out on a Maha charger and some 2500mAh batteries, I'd like
> a straight answer on what state they are best stored in - fully charged or
> fully drained. I've seen conflicting opinions on both, but it seems to
> lean towards keeping them fully charged and occasionally re-charging them
> to keep the charge level full.
>
> Is this the case? I can see me going a few months between battery changes
> sometimes at quiet times of the year and I don't want to ruin these
> batteries.

September 26, 2005 3:24:36 AM

Ed Mullikin wrote:

>I quote from page 147 of my Sony DSC-F828 manual: "If the battery pack is
>not to be used for a long time do the following procedure once per year to
>maintain proper function: 1) Fully charge the battery, 2) Discharge on your
>camera, 3) Remove the battery and store in a dry, cool place." The camera
>has a slide show feature that one can set to repeat until the battery is
>exhausted. The camera uses "Infolithium" batteries.

That information ONLY applies to Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries.

Nickel-Cadmium (NiCad) or Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries should
be stored in a fully charged state.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 4:27:41 AM

Ditto

"J. David" <jdavid@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> "al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> After splashing out on a Maha charger and some 2500mAh batteries, I'd
>> like a straight answer on what state they are best stored in - fully
>> charged or fully drained. I've seen conflicting opinions on both, but it
>> seems to lean towards keeping them fully charged and occasionally
>> re-charging them to keep the charge level full.
>>
>> Is this the case? I can see me going a few months between battery
>> changes sometimes at quiet times of the year and I don't want to ruin
>> these batteries.
>
> Store them fully charged.
> Top them off before use.
>
> Jerry

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 4:36:06 AM

"Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> writes:

> I quote from page 147 of my Sony DSC-F828 manual: "If the battery pack is
> not to be used for a long time do the following procedure once per year to
> maintain proper function: 1) Fully charge the battery, 2) Discharge on your
> camera, 3) Remove the battery and store in a dry, cool place." The camera
> has a slide show feature that one can set to repeat until the battery is
> exhausted. The camera uses "Infolithium" batteries.

Which are very different from the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries the
OP was asking about, so you may well have given him badly incorrect
advice.

> "al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > After splashing out on a Maha charger and some 2500mAh batteries, I'd like
> > a straight answer on what state they are best stored in - fully charged or
> > fully drained. I've seen conflicting opinions on both, but it seems to
> > lean towards keeping them fully charged and occasionally re-charging them
> > to keep the charge level full.
> >
> > Is this the case? I can see me going a few months between battery changes
> > sometimes at quiet times of the year and I don't want to ruin these
> > batteries.

September 26, 2005 12:27:12 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Will store fully charged and top up before use
:)