Sign in with
Your question

AMD 4650 crossfire not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 6:17:27 PM

I recently upgraded my computer to a better board and chip after catastrophic failure of my previous board and chip, now my graphics performance has gone down the crapper. I have installed the latest drivers, and have checked to make sure both cards work independently.

GPU: AMD HD 4650 *2
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 3.6 GHz
RAM: 12 GB DDR3

If you need any more info just ask.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:22:19 PM

Did you do a full reinstallation of Windows when you swapped all your HDD's and such to your new motherboard? If not, the old motherboard drivers and such are conflicting with the ones from your newer motherboard and I would still recommend a full reinstall of Windows to start fresh.
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:24:33 PM

El Tigre said:
Did you do a full reinstallation of Windows when you swapped all your HDD's and such to your new motherboard? If not, the old motherboard drivers and such are conflicting with the ones from your newer motherboard and I would still recommend a full reinstall of Windows to start fresh.

I actually reinstalled windows several times.
I forgot to mention that the OS was windows Vista Home, and is now Windows 7 home.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:28:19 PM

What games are you trying to play and at what resolution are you gaming at? The HD 4650 is not really good for gaming, even CF'ed. They will suffer from micro stuttering since they are old and low end cards too. It would be best to get a newer powerful card. Even a budget card such as the HD 7750 will outperform your CF setup.
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:31:33 PM

El Tigre said:
What games are you trying to play and at what resolution are you gaming at? The HD 4650 is not really good for gaming, even CF'ed. They will suffer from micro stuttering since they are old and low end cards too. It would be best to get a newer powerful card. Even a budget card such as the HD 7750 will outperform your CF setup.

Its not just bad performance, my setup used to play Skyrim on medium, now can barely do low. Its just frustrating to have sunk so much money in a new board, chip and RAM only to have worse performance.
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:36:19 PM

I tried some benchmarks and the second GPU isn't taking any load.
GPU1: 99%
GPU2: 0%
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:40:05 PM

Did you put the CF bridge on the card? Also, did you set to use CF in the Catalyst Control Center?
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:42:34 PM

El Tigre said:
Did you put the CF bridge on the card? Also, did you set to use CF in the Catalyst Control Center?

The chart says the 4650 does not need a bridge. and yes I set up crossfire in CCC.
m
l
!