Keep getting kicked off of our network.....

mdortona

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,
At my office we have a simple network using a Netgear WGR614 V7 router. 4 XP machines are connected via Ethernet cable and three other people are connected wirelessly (one XP laptop, one Win7 laptop and one Win 7 netbook). It appears that whenever the netbook is on the network, the other two laptops lose connectivity. The wired machines are fine. Power cycling the router and rebooting usually solves the problem. Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks!
Matt

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
check what ip addresses the laptops are getting. if there are not enough ip addresses from the router or if one of them has a static ip that is being dynamically assigned by the router that can cause some odd issues. another idea is perhaps the netbooks wifi card is in some way 'crashing' the wifi of the router. ive never seen this happen but i suppose it may be worth using a usb wifi card on the netbook to test this theory.

mdortona

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Matt

mdortona

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I checked the ip addresses as you suggested and all of the were different (e.g. 10.0.0.6, 10.0.0.3 etc). I also updated the routers firmware. Still getting kicked off. Any thoughts about what to do next?? Thanks again for your help!

Matt