WD 320GB 7200RPM
Crossair 650W

I am thinking of upgrading to

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition, 3.60Ghz, 8MB Cache
Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX
Western Digital 2000GB (2TB)
Corsair 16GB (4*4GB)
Pioneer Blu-Ray Combo Drive

Do you think this configuration will be a better choice. Will it be able to play games on maximum resolution and what should I add to this conguration. ??? :bounce:

Depends on your budget, but for that amount of money you should consider an Intel build as well. The current Bulldozer chips just do not justify the price in my view. There may be other reasons for sticking with AMD, but purely for gaming purposes Bulldozer is not a significant enough upgrade over Deneb.

Seconded that the FX-8150 isn't that much better of a gaming chip than the 955 is. Most games can't use more than 2 cores anyway, so having 4 more cores would do nothing for you in like 99% of all the games out there.

Newer titles are getting the ability to use more cores (BF3 multiplayer can use all 8, for instance), but for right now the multi-core adoption is still very low.

Higher IPC, on the other hand, does usually have a positive effect on gaming performance. The Phenom 2's tend to have higher IPC than Bulldozer, and the Intel cores tend to have higher IPC than AMD cores do.

More RAM also usually doesn't help in games. I normally suggest 2x 4GBs, but if you already have 1x4 and 1x2, that's all that the vast majority of the games can make use of anyway. Most programs can't even use the whole 8, but matching sticks is better than non matching and having more than 4 is better than having 4, so I usually suggest 2x 4GBs. I don't think a single game out there can push up to 6 anyway, much less 16.

Most games are limited to 2 GBs at the most, so 2 for the OS, 2 for the game, and another 2 for web browsers and whatever else will do just fine for most people.

WD 2 TB HD - If you intend to install the OS on this, it may not be better than what you have now for gaming. It is ideal to have the OS and the games installed on the highest RPM drive possible, and 2 TB drives can't usually do even 7200, much less a higher RPM figure. They are usually 5400 drives and add in the larger search time for having a bigger HD in general and you get worse performance all around.

If you want the 2 TB for movies or whatever, then at least keep the 320 and use it as a drive for the OS and programs only and use the 2 TB only for data. The less you have installed on the OS/game drive, the better.

redheat2010

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply I checked the article no major difference between AMD X8 and AMD x4 for gaming I just want to check one more thing I have a geforce 560ti 822MHZ graphics card if I buy one more graphics card with the same speed will it increase the performance of the system... Then i will just upgrade mobo, memory and graphics card