I will be switching to a nice 24inch ASUS monitor;
I dont intend to use Crossfire, SLI or eyefinity at the moment
My budget is ~£200

over the next few weeks
I've been looking at GTX series and the 6870+ series

But cant make a decision!
It will most like be used for Skyrim,Battlefield's / mainly RPG's and shooters
Hit me with your best shots.

You might want to read this article on the best graphics cards for your money July 2012:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

For gaming, particularly first person shooters, buy the best graphics card your budget and PSU will allow.
Since your prices will differ, use the heirarchy list at the end to rank your different options.

If your TV was 1080P, it is likely that you will still be gaming at the same resolution, namely 1920 x 1080.

Since your 5570 is not that strong of a card, I have no doubt that your budget will buy you a significant upgrade.

daretadakatsu

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply, i have read that article and many others, but im wanting more of a personal opinion i suppose;

The 32 inch tv at the moment is 1080p;

And the power supply i forgot to mention was a;

OCZ stealth stream 500w 80+ Gold rated PSU

I have used both ati and nvidia, and from a personal point of view, I seem to prefer nvidia. The drivers just seem better.

But, there are fans on both sides, and the $300 price range seems to be currently left mostly to the amd 7850.

I like the 28nm cards, they run cooler and quieter. Your 500w psu can run any of them.

In a week or two, we should see the GTX660 launch, and I expect that that market segment will become very competitive.
It might pay to see what gives.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'll offer my opinion. From my experience assembling budget to mid-range gaming PCs, for 1920x1080 gaming, stay with a HD 6870 or greater. Or a GTX 560 or higher if you prefer Nvidia. The HD 7870 seems to be a hot item right now. But I'm not sure if that might not be above your budget you set.

daretadakatsu

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply's

What about manufacturers?
Like i've been looking at the MSI r6870 With the dual fans and single fans and powercolor versions -

I may wait for the GTX660 though and see how it fairs out;

I've been told by many people that the 6870's can compete without overclocking with the 560 and 560 Ti ;

And i can add to the budget it was just an estimate :)

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Depends on hat your are using it for, but usually the 560ti wins between the two.

I think you would be best waiting. the 660 is bound to drive prices down especially on the amd side like the 7850 and 7870.

The graphics card marketplace is very competitive. You will get fair value for your dollar at every price point.
Cards in the same price category will have similar performance.
One exception is that older cards which are less effective may still retain high retail prices. The reason, I think, is that they can be sold to sli/cf upgraders who have nowhere else to go.

For the most part, the basic card and components all come from amd or nvidia. The various vendors apply their stickers on them and add custom coolers for differentiation. It is mostly fluff.
Newer 28nm cards do run cooler and use less power so I think that is the way to go.
Some vendors are US based if that makes a difference to you. It might if you need warranty service or other support.
Check out the various forums.
Warranty and rma policies may differ too.