Sign in with
Your question

PSU question for new VGA

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2013 6:12:08 AM

Hello. I'm planning on buying a new vga for my computer and not sure if the power supply will be enough.

My present config is:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 3
Memory: 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6670 1 GB GDDR5
PSU: (don't really know the brand, the sticker says Power Pentium IV & PFC), but has 20 amps on 12V.
HDD: 160 GB Maxtor (a bit old one, with sata)
No CD/DVD drive and no floppy installed
I have 2 fans in the case.

I'm using the psu with this config without a problem. But I'm planning to upgrade my vga to a HD7850. I know it consumes a bit more power. Do you think the psu could cope with it?

If not then what's your opinion on the FSP Hexa 500? It has two 12V rails with 18 amps on each. Would that be enough for this card, and maybe for a little overclock?

More about : psu question vga

February 1, 2013 6:16:56 AM

AMP are nothing, what you are after is Watts.

Also try to obtain a PSU that uses a single 12V rail, using two is possible but you have to balance the load out a bit-more to prevent the PSU turning into a fireworks display.

There are loads of trustworthy brands out there, but remember don't cheap out on the PSU. and aim for at least a bronze certified PSU.

February 1, 2013 7:22:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! So you are saying that those PSUs with single 12V are better?
I thoght having them separated makes them more secure.
Ok, then what do you think of Corsair CX500 with a single 34A +12V rail?
Think this would be more than enough.
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 10:43:33 AM

warhead0 said:
AMP are nothing, what you are after is Watts.

Also try to obtain a PSU that uses a single 12V rail, using two is possible but you have to balance the load out a bit-more to prevent the PSU turning into a fireworks display.

There are loads of trustworthy brands out there, but remember don't cheap out on the PSU. and aim for at least a bronze certified PSU.

Please don't drag us back to the stone-age
Amps are much more important than watts ( a 500w/40 a unit can power much more than a 500w/27a unit )
Rails are basically a non-issue unless trying to use a high end dual card system with a low quality dual rail psu
February 1, 2013 11:54:48 AM

Do you guys think that the Corsair CX500 with single +12V rail that can push 34Amps, would be enough for the first post config with the HD7850?
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 12:01:38 PM

you will be fine, the PSU is solid enough and the card is pretty efficient

it won't even break 300w total system power while gaming
February 1, 2013 12:55:56 PM

dirtyferret said:
you will be fine, the PSU is solid enough and the card is pretty efficient

it won't even break 300w total system power while gaming

Thank you :-) , just another question. I checked out Antec VP550P, which has two +12V rails and can push 30A each. Is that worth the extra money for this config (in my country it's more expensive than Corsair), or should I just stay with the CX500? Also is a little overclock possible with the CX500?
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 1:07:33 PM

that antec actually has a single 12v rail (as do most PSU under 1000w even if they state otherwise) that has been split. Even though each split can deliver 30a, combined they can only deliver 45a. I doubt you see a real world difference between the two PSU on your configuration. The antec uses a few better caps, slightly more power, but lacks a MOV in the transient filter.
February 1, 2013 1:29:38 PM

dirtyferret said:
that antec actually has a single 12v rail (as do most PSU under 1000w even if they state otherwise) that has been split. Even though each split can deliver 30a, combined they can only deliver 45a. I doubt you see a real world difference between the two PSU on your configuration. The antec uses a few better caps, slightly more power, but lacks a MOV in the transient filter.

Thank you very much! I think I will stay with the CX500 then.
!