Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 7:24:43 PM

I recently finished my first build:

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
PSU: Seasonic 620W
MoBo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 4GBx2 G.Skill Ripjaws

My intentions were to play any game on this build at highest settings at 60fps, which it does. However, in some games, polygons or black and white squares would pop up on screen and would then black screen. It would inform me that my display driver had crashed and recovered. I have tried playing Dead Island and Just Cause 2 with this, and the polygons/squares would always pop up, but when I play a game like League of Legends, it'll be fine.

My card sits at 35C-40C idle. Under load it would be around 70C-80C.

Is this just a driver issue, or could it be something else? I'm running 301.42.

More about : gtx 670 issue

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:35:54 PM

unfortunately, I believe you got a faulty gpu. I used to have the same issue with my gtx670 and I had to return it for a full refund when it got fried. I have seen people with the same issue in this forum as well(particularly with the evga ftw model). Take advantage of the EVGA lifetime warranty and RMA it asap. This is NOT a driver issue since my other gtx 670 works fine with it.
m
l
July 29, 2012 9:41:53 PM

That's unfortunate. :\

Do you think I should exchange it for a different FTW model, or should I get a different GTX 670 altogether? I don't want this to happen again. :\
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 5:26:53 AM

generally, the ftw models work fine. There is a 2-5% chance that your gpu is dud. Hopefully, this will workout fine for you this time round.

The EVGA ftw models are great only second to the Asus direct cu II Top ones which are out of stock for a while now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 5:39:00 AM

I have a 670 FTW and it's great. Definitely swap it over for a new one. The odds of another dud should be microscopic.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:01:23 AM

I tried some games again today.

At max settings, I was able to play Just Cause 2 comfortably for about an hour at 60 FPS. My drivers did not crash. However, I did get flickers of black or colored polygons and squares. It happened about 7-10 times in 30 minutes. It only flashed for a split second. Sometimes, lines of black/white squares would also appear. Again, my drivers did not crash as it did yesterday, and I was able to play continuously.

I then tried The Witcher 2 at on Ultra. I got about 30 FPS, and my screen would flicker polygons or the landscape would flicker. I changed to High. I was able to play at around 60 FPS, however the screen would flicker polygons at the same frequency as Just Cause 2. The drivers did not crash here either.

I then tried Skyrim and Dead Island on Ultra/Max respectively. I had troubles with Dead Island in the past few days with drivers crashing and recovering and the polygons invading my screen, but it did not happen here. However, black polygons would appear sometimes. In Skyrim, white polygons would flicker. I did not play these games for more than 30 minutes, however.

Should I still RMA the card? I will be trying a different PCI-E slot tomorrow.

Also, yesterday, I believe I may have been running GPU-Z in the background while playing JC2. Do you think this could cause crashes? I was not running it when playing Dead Island when it crashed though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 7:59:39 AM

yes you should still RMA it, those polygon issues aren't normal. I have never seen anyone having any issues with gpu-z and more importantly your the temps are most worrying issue here. Gtx670 should idle at 27-30c and max load temp should be in the low 70s.
m
l
!