Which HD7870 is best (comparing producers)?

smileyy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I'm gonna buy a whole new gaming rig to play GuildWars2 and Battlefield3 on 1080p, the only thing I'm not sure about is the gfx card.

1) Which hd 7870 card is best? (trying to compare the board producers)

-VTX: Cheapest (almost €30 than rest)
-Sapphire (read good things about the card, price just €10 above VTX)
-Asus: good cooler but performance seems disappointing, especially since its higher clocked than most other cards? (also more expensive)
-Club3d Royal King: good cooler and good performance (on par with MSI)
-MSI FT: seems to make a lot of noice, good performance

These are just the results of one benchmark, looking for people's opinions, especially about performance in games.. is there really a difference between the cards to justify the different prices?

2) Instead of buying the pc now, lets say I wait for the gtx 660(ti), and prices are under €300, would you pick the gtx or still go for HD7870?

I know its hard to discuss this without real benchmarks, but apparently more and more info on the gtx is revealed..

3) I've read people running BF3 on high/ultra with an hd 6870 card.. I won't buy that card, due to only 1 gb, but if that card manages to play BF3 on those specs, perhaps the 7850 comes back in sight for me (performance still good enough to play games high/medium for 4 years?) or go for 7870 just to be save for another year? :p

Btw, I'm not planning to buy a new gfx card again in 1-2 years, I'll use the card for 4-5 years.

Thx for all advice.

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking from personal experience, I have the Asus 7870 and it has been fantastic so far. I don't have anything less than 60 FPS on anything and it runs cool and efficiently.

I personally stay away from Nvidia. I recently tried a 680 and then a 670 and had nothing but issues with them. Once I returned the 670, I got the 7870 and everything has been working flawlessly.

You shouldn't have any problems running the 7870 for 4-5 years, and in a few years when the price drops you could always nab a second one for Crossfire.

Good luck!

smileyy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Hiya,

thx for the quick response :)

Any reason why u went with Asus? As we speak, I'm looking into another benchmark and the MSI 7870 TF & Club3D 7870 are both outperforming the ASUS (even at a slightly lower price)

Btw, funny that u mentoined stay away from Nvidea, because that the opposite of what I tend to read on forums :p I've got an old hd 4670 now, and must say it wasnt always that easy to get new drivers, something Nvidea apparently does better?

Greetz

smileyy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Just found this promotion for the hd7870:

-vtx for €232 ( £181)
-sapphire for €242 (£189)

Will this make the hd7870 the best choice, giving that the gtx660(ti) wont launch under €300 ?

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
My rule, is that you get the cheapest one for the bang and OC it to the max as it will be useless after 2-3 years (cause ure buying a mid range card dont expect it to last long with high/med settings)

IMHO get cheapest one that gives u decent stats

smileyy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Well I've been reading review after review and benchmarks all around, and seems you 'r right.. most cards are just the same, alltho some are a little overclocked but don't necessarily gain that much performance (Asus) or produce too much heat/noice.

So would u buy a 7850 and overclock it, or spend €50 more to get a 7870 (and overclock it)?