Which DDR brand to buy?

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I'll be buying new mobo soon (w/DDR).
My question is which brand of DDR memory to byu?

I intend to OC to the max.

Please try to limit the answer to your expirience,
I have enough second hand information already.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Crucial.com sells excellent RAM.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
i run crucial 2100 @ CL2 turbo 138fsb
but i think any quality ram should be good for o/clocking
or you could get some 2400???

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Let me try this way:
should I go with high quality PC2100, or go straight
for PC2400?

Which brand? I don't want to spend $$$ on a disappointment.

Again, I'll be OCing to the max.

Again, please try to limit the answer to your expirience,
I have enough second hand information already.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
overclockers.com did a comparison where they compared PC133 CL2 SDRAM from Crucial against PC150 ram to see which would overclock more. The crucial won. I think the same would probably hold true in the DDR world, too.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Another vote for Crucial. They also have excellent customer service, and if you even have a suspicion that the RAM is bad, they'll UPS you some more, without hesitation.

I've seen PC2100 CAS 2 as far as 160MHz FSB at CAS2, as well. You'd be quite hard pressed to find a motherboard (and PCI/AGP devices) that will allow you to go higher than that.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

I was faced with the same delema Joe, after much deliberation and advice I finally ordered crucial pc2100 256mb x2 sticks ($80 USD total) from the USA to Australia , I stuffed up the order and called Crucial immediately. Their customer service was fantastic, very helpful and the shipment has arrived here within a week! The other alternative I considered was Corsair pc2400, besides having an outlet in Australia they had no stock and would take 3 weeks to ship. Corsair prices were twice as much as the Crucial DDR sticks and their customer service took two weeks to reply to my e-mail query.

If you can wait 24 hours I can tell you how overclockable Crucial is, I do not have it installed just yet but it will be soon.
It will be installed on a Epox 8K7A+ board and a T'bird 1.4 and an Enermax 430w psu ~ yadda yadda yadda, I will be trying for pc2400 spec's in stages.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
That's great Scotty!
Please beam up the results as soon as they become available.
:smile:

G

Ok I got to 10.5x145fsb(1.522Ghz) by disabling auto detect dimm/clk in bios but was a little un-stable. I tried at 12x140(1.680Ghz)with no result, too late at night to be doing this so I will have another go tomorrow.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink: