Confirmation on PSU with GPU

Hi i need some confirmation with the Antec VP450P 450W PSU.
(specifications - http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=904886)

Will this PSU be able to power a 650ti or 7850 under full load for awhile?

Cheers :)
30 answers Last reply
More about confirmation
  1. Sure (depending on your system).
  2. My system specs are:
    Intel i5 3470
    Gigabyte ga-b75m-d2v mother board
    2x4gb ram
    Seagate 500gb HDD
  3. Yeah it's fine.
  4. you should be ok, Antec make great stuff (i have a 500w NeoHe that run dual 560ti in sli + a Q6600 overclocked to 4.05ghz and it runs for almost 7 years now (i had it in my Pentium 4 before that build...
  5. the maximum power draw of 650 ti is 110w and the minimum system power required is only 400 watts. so that psu will be definitely fine.

    however, im afraid it will not power the 7850 properly as the card requires 500w at minimum.
  6. spawnkiller said:
    you should be ok, Antec make great stuff (i have a 500w NeoHe that run dual 560ti in sli + a Q6600 overclocked to 4.05ghz and it runs for almost 7 years now (i had it in my Pentium 4 before that build...


    antec is a brand like most PSU companies and does not make PSU. your NeoHe is made by antec while the VP450 is made by FSP even though both are sold under the Antec brand.
  7. rainbueza said:
    the maximum power draw of 650 ti is 110w and the minimum system power required is only 400 watts. so that psu will be definitely fine.

    however, im afraid it will not power the 7850 properly as the card requires 500w at minimum.

    Rated maximum power draw of the 7850 is 130 watts, do you really think you need an extra hundred watts ?
  8. delluser1 said:
    Rated maximum power draw of the 7850 is 130 watts, do you really think you need an extra hundred watts ?


    DELL, it requires at minimum a 500w PSU. If you connected a 450w PSU to a gaming PC with the AMD 7850 (drawing at most 300w total system power) your PC would automatically shut down, eject the AMD 7850 from the case, and notify the PC police. You would then spend the next 3-5 years in PC police prison thinking over the error of your ways. Do you really want that for the OP?
  9. dirtyferret said:
    antec is a brand like most PSU companies and does not make PSU. your NeoHe is made by antec while the VP450 is made by FSP even though both are sold under the Antec brand.

    The NEOHE use Seasonic internal but yeah, i accrod you that antec don't "Make" but choose components and put it in their PSU...
  10. solvectro said:
    Hi i need some confirmation with the Antec VP450P 450W PSU.
    (specifications - http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=904886)

    Will this PSU be able to power a 650ti or 7850 under full load for awhile?

    Cheers :)


    Hi - I agree with finneous & dellusuer, vp450 will run either card. I'm aware that 500w
    might be recommended for one, but realhardtech suggests 450w for the 7850,
    and I trust them as that is their expertise.

    Tom
  11. dirtyferret said:
    antec is a brand like most PSU companies and does not make PSU. your NeoHe is made by antec while the VP450 is made by FSP even though both are sold under the Antec brand.


    NeoHE500 made by Seasonic.
  12. 500W will be enough. I'm using Amacrox Warrior 500W with i5-2500K on 4.00GHz and 5850 on 850/1150MHz. Haven't had any problems since 2 years ago. So I think your PSU will be good enough since 7850 or 650Ti is more power friendly than my 5850.
  13. toyftw said:
    NeoHE500 made by Seasonic.

    Yeah sorry. My fingers were not typing what my brain was saying
  14. toyftw said:
    NeoHE500 made by Seasonic.

    Yeah sorry. My fingers were not typing what my brain was saying
  15. spawnkiller said:
    The NEOHE use Seasonic internal but yeah, i accrod you that antec don't "Make" but choose components and put it in their PSU...

    Not as choosy as you may think on lower tier series. Often those series are just revealed on mass produced oem platforms
  16. dirtyferret said:
    Yeah sorry. My fingers were not typing what my brain was saying


    LOL - fig sumthin like that since you pointed out that Antec wasn't an OEM
  17. Have any of you guys heard about the Enermax Tomahawk 2 500w PSU? Is that any good on load over long periods?
  18. solvectro said:
    Have any of you guys heard about the Enermax Tomahawk 2 500w PSU? Is that any good on load over long periods?


    Don't know much about the Tomahawk II, but Enermax is a quality OEM PSU
    maker, and yet the TomahawkII's are made by CWT. If they have the capability
    to make it, but are farming it out, then it is being done for lower cost, so
    keep that in mind.

    Tom
  19. Easily
  20. Which of the two PSU would you guys recommend to power either a 650ti or HD7850 on full load?
    The Antec VP450P 450W PSU
    OR
    Enermax Tomahawk 2 500w

    They're about the same price for me.
  21. ANTEC
  22. Brett928S2 said:
    ANTEC


    ^ +1 Antec
  23. Okay thanks alot guys for all the answers! :)
  24. dirtyferret said:
    DELL, it requires at minimum a 500w PSU. If you connected a 450w PSU to a gaming PC with the AMD 7850 (drawing at most 300w total system power) your PC would automatically shut down, eject the AMD 7850 from the case, and notify the PC police. You would then spend the next 3-5 years in PC police prison thinking over the error of your ways. Do you really want that for the OP?

    Yeah, I've got a GTX260 ( 182 watt rated max power consumption, 500 watts "required" ) combined with an I3-2100 it puts about a 62% load on a NeoEco400 when running OCCT psu ( not a whole lot more than a 660Ti PE does )


    You might be surprised as to how many of those PC police are around here these days
  25. i have the same PSU in one my PCs. it's amazing that a well built PSU can actually deliver 60% of its max load with no problem. although im sure the PC police will scream and yell how its not as good as some some Chinese cap unit that just makes 80 plus bronze at 25c.
  26. dirtyferret said:
    i have the same PSU in one my PCs. it's amazing that a well built PSU can actually deliver 60% of its max load with no problem. although im sure the PC police will scream and yell how its not as good as some some Chinese cap unit that just makes 80 plus bronze at 25c.

    Newegg has had them marked down to $30 a couple of times over the past 2 months, been thru a few of them
  27. id say, you can make a fort with all those boxes
  28. dirtyferret said:
    i have the same PSU in one my PCs. it's amazing that a well built PSU can actually deliver 60% of its max load with no problem. although im sure the PC police will scream and yell how its not as good as some some Chinese cap unit that just makes 80 plus bronze at 25c.

    How is that amazing? Obviously by the very definition a PSU should deliver at least 100% of its max load.
  29. FinneousPJ said:
    How is that amazing?
    Sarcasm
  30. delluser1 said:
    Sarcasm



    Yup!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies GPUs Antec Power Components