Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD 6870 or 6950?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2012 9:44:52 PM

yeah im torn between one of these two for my upgrade to my card...

not sure which one would be more worth it with my build, which is

CPU: Intel I5 3570k ivy bridge processor..
RAM: 16GBs
motherboard: MSI
PSU: XFX Pro 550Watt
current GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 512mb factory overclocked

I dont play games in High resolutions... just 1440x900
i do make videos of gameplay every now and again
not sure if my obsessive drawing and stuff would effect which card is better or not?... lol XD

lol so can someone please help me decide which card would be better?...

the AMD HD 6870 or the AMD HD 6950.... any help is much appreciated :3

More about : amd 6870 6950

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 9:52:05 PM

7850.
July 29, 2012 9:52:49 PM

Smeg45 said:
7850.



Thread over. The new 7 series cards are a huge step forward. They use less power, and produce more. They run worlds cooler, and have less issues. 12.7 catalyst solved any issues the 7 series cards had.
Related resources
July 29, 2012 9:53:21 PM

Smeg45 said:
7850.


can't afford it :/ , can barely afford the 6950... the 7850 is more expensive than it...
July 29, 2012 9:57:46 PM

Graphite946 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

209 is good. And about 10$ more than the cheapest 6950 I could find.

Buying used would even be cheaper.


10 more is more than i can afford.... and i would never buy used PC parts.... most people only sell them cos they're broken or braking..
July 29, 2012 9:59:38 PM

TGWTHF said:
10 more is more than i can afford.... and i would never buy used PC parts.... most people only sell them cos they're broken or braking..



I would recommend saving for a little longer. The 7XXX series card will hold up much better all the way around. They run WORLDS cooler, and scale much better with current games than the previous generation cards.

July 29, 2012 10:02:40 PM

Graphite946 said:
I would recommend saving for a little longer. The 7XXX series card will hold up much better all the way around. They run WORLDS cooler, and scale much better with current games than the previous generation cards.


well that'd have to be next year then :/ ... oh well...
a c 143 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:04:00 PM

But from a price point, yea HD 7850 all the way.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
July 29, 2012 10:04:11 PM

I'd have to say that the 6950 is a pretty darn quick card. I assume you are looking at the one on Newegg for $199?

That's the cheapest 6950 I have ever seen on a major website.
a c 143 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:04:18 PM

Any card of those would be overkill for such a resolution, I bet you'll max out any gamy easily for the next 3 years with the HD 6870 :p 
July 29, 2012 10:08:03 PM

TGWTHF said:
well that'd have to be next year then :/ ... oh well...



i'm not here to judge financial situations, but waiting a year for 10$ more is a bit extreme.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:11:45 PM

I think people are exaggerating a little the relative merits of the 7850 over the 6950. Yes, if you're buying today and they cost the same, of course you get the 7850. But they don't cost the same. And the performance numbers are actually remarkably similar. Here's a comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=510 That is a difference, but it's not a big difference. Yes, of course the 7850 is also more efficient--it's the better card. But you shouldn't hesitate to get the 6950 if you can't fit the extra few bucks in your budget. (Note: the 7850 will probably be a little faster than a few of those benchmarks due to driver updates.)

As compared to the 6870, meanwhile, the 6950 will have two virtues: (1) double the VRAM (for MOST models of 6870 and 6950), which means better performance on high resolutions and high AA settings and somewhat more future-proof; and (2) slightly better performance overall, regardless of resolution. Here's another comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=510 As you can see, it's about an 8-15% difference in most games and on most settings. Whether that is worth it to you in terms of price is a harder question. Clearly the 6850 to 6870 comparison favors the 6870, because you get pretty much linear performance per cost increase. That isn't true with the 6950 over the 6870, but it's still a real gain.

If I were in your position, I'd probably get the 6870, save the few bucks, and plan on upgrading sooner down the line. Your resolution doesn't justify the extra VRAM, for one thing. For another, I think it doesn't make that much sense to sink money into slower, less efficient last-generation hardware. Not that the 6950 is bad--I have one myself--but this is what I would do if I were buying today.
July 29, 2012 10:20:49 PM

Graphite946 said:
i'm not here to judge financial situations, but waiting a year for 10$ more is a bit extreme.


not old enough to get a job and im relying on birthday money unfortunately...
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
July 29, 2012 10:24:01 PM

TGWTHF said:
not old enough to get a job and im relying on birthday money unfortunately...


In that case I'd go for the 6870. Its going to give you rock solid performance.

Sure as motorneuron said, the 7850 IS faster than the 6950, which IS faster than the 6870. He also pointed out though, that the difference is minimal.

Sure I've got a 6950 and my buddy has a 6870, and we both have 2500K's. In benchmark terms, I blow him out of the water. But we both play the same games. We both can play BF3 multiplayer and every other games we actually have.

If I were in your situation I'd save a few bucks and go for the 6870.
July 29, 2012 10:26:58 PM

motorneuron said:
I think people are exaggerating a little the relative merits of the 7850 over the 6950. Yes, if you're buying today and they cost the same, of course you get the 7850. But they don't cost the same. And the performance numbers are actually remarkably similar. Here's a comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=510 That is a difference, but it's not a big difference. Yes, of course the 7850 is also more efficient--it's the better card. But you shouldn't hesitate to get the 6950 if you can't fit the extra few bucks in your budget. (Note: the 7850 will probably be a little faster than a few of those benchmarks due to driver updates.)

As compared to the 6870, meanwhile, the 6950 will have two virtues: (1) double the VRAM (for MOST models of 6870 and 6950), which means better performance on high resolutions and high AA settings and somewhat more future-proof; and (2) slightly better performance overall, regardless of resolution. Here's another comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=510 As you can see, it's about an 8-15% difference in most games and on most settings. Whether that is worth it to you in terms of price is a harder question. Clearly the 6850 to 6870 comparison favors the 6870, because you get pretty much linear performance per cost increase. That isn't true with the 6950 over the 6870, but it's still a real gain.

If I were in your position, I'd probably get the 6870, save the few bucks, and plan on upgrading sooner down the line. Your resolution doesn't justify the extra VRAM, for one thing. For another, I think it doesn't make that much sense to sink money into slower, less efficient last-generation hardware. Not that the 6950 is bad--I have one myself--but this is what I would do if I were buying today.


yeah thanks for the extra information, and yeah i know its stupid to go for older gen, but when the older stuff is more power for cheaper, and heat and that doesn't matter much to me i dont do a lot of hard-core gaming, also thanks for clearing up some of the information on the cards :3
July 29, 2012 10:39:01 PM

Deemo13 said:
In that case I'd go for the 6870. Its going to give you rock solid performance.

Sure as motorneuron said, the 7850 IS faster than the 6950, which IS faster than the 6870. He also pointed out though, that the difference is minimal.

Sure I've got a 6950 and my buddy has a 6870, and we both have 2500K's. In benchmark terms, I blow him out of the water. But we both play the same games. We both can play BF3 multiplayer and every other games we actually have.

If I were in your situation I'd save a few bucks and go for the 6870.


ok thanks, that seems like a relatively good idea.. it'll give me some money left on the side to spend too lol haha XD
!