Image/video Editing + occasional gaming Build (~1000$)

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Approximate Purchase Date: : this month

Budget Range: 1000$ or 900€ Before Shipping . I´m flexible, just looking for the best price/perfomance ratio

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing, video editing, gaming, multitasking, movies, surfing...

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (but out of the budget)

Parts to Upgrade: CPU/Mobo/RAM/Graphics/Case/Cooling/PSU. Only reusing Hard drives and a SSD

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (amazon.es, pccomponentes.es, alternate.es)

Location: Spain (I dont expect to get advice on where to buy in Spain.. I´ll handle that, just looking for hardware advice).

Parts Preferences: - Intel CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: currently 1680x1050 upgrading to 1920x1200 down the road. EDIT: I´d like to use 2 screens togheter mabye even a 3rd one later on.

Additional Comments: Looking for reliabilty and quality. Good cooling and low noise.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: time to change my Q6600, want more performance.

I´m buidling this PC in Spain so you probably wont be able to give advice on which specific part I should buy on which specific shop, I mostly need hardware advice, dont worry about some parts having rebates on newegg for example since I wont be able to buy it there... (other more general price advice e.g. "if you can find 'x' for a similar price as 'y' then definitely go for 'x' " will be appreciated). Im posting the cheapest prices I´ve found on components here so you can have a rough idea.
I already have first draft, so you can also comment on it.. or give totally different suggestions, either way it will be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (218€) / i5-3550 (182€). I would have considered i-3450 as Tomshardware gaming CPUs article suggests, but its just 2€ here cheaper than i5-3550 !!
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (124€)
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB 2x4GB CL9 (40€). Should I really go for 16gb now ??
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Dual-X 2GB GDDR5 (189€). No particular reason for this, I´m happy with my Sapphire and I´ve always used Radeon graphics, the HD7850 seems like a good compromise.
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred (100€)
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (30€)
PSU: Corsair HX750W "silver" (the old one is 119€)

I already have a Sandsik SSD G25-G3 Extreme 120 GB, and 3 x 640GB Caviar blacks (WD6400AAKS) I plan to RAID 0 (I´ll have an external backup... probably soon a home NAS, but for now at least an additional 2TB internal drive just for that purpose).
As you can see the the case/psu could be a bit overkill... my idea is to keep those components for a long long time, so I take it as an investment.

Thanks for your time !

g-unit1111

Titan

Editing - yes. Gaming - no. Games won't make use of hyperthreading for quite some time. You're better off putting that money in a stronger GPU.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

You are correct, I'm just concerned about not having enough processing power for today's HiDef footage and application requirements.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

Thanks g-unit1111. Some of them I knew, other I didnt... I´ll check the prices. There shouldnt be availabilty issues in Madrid.

Thanks to you both. Thats the most difficult balance.. I need both, but I dont want to expend much more. I was guessing the i5-3570K was already the high end choice for my budget: 8 threads and unlocked ! Doesnt the permformance/price ratio go worse from there ?

Regarding the graphics Im more lost.. but I find it difficult to make a bigger invesntment here (I rather change the card in a couple years).

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks to you both. Thats the most difficult balance.. I need both, but I dont want to expend much more. I was guessing the i5-3570K was already the high end choice for my budget: 8 threads and unlocked ! Doesnt the permformance/price ratio go worse from there ?

Not necessarily - the i5-3450 is a perfectly good CPU. But the differences between the i5-3450, i5-3550, and i5-3570 are pretty moot - you're basically paying more money for not a lot of speed increase. The 3570K has the unlocked multiplier so you can overclock.

Regarding the graphics Im more lost.. but I find it difficult to make a bigger invesntment here (I rather change the card in a couple years).

With the price drops on the AMD 78XX series you can get a nice GPU for not a lot of money. NVIDIA is no longer a value / performance leader in this field - if you want a good NVIDIA-based GPU, you'd better be prepared to fork over some big money. The 7870 can be had for ~$250 US (190,78 €) and the 7850 can be had for ~$195 US ( 140,75 €). You can get good performance on any budget now.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

I see... but what I understand is that I CANNOT overclock a locked multplier Ivy Bridge, right ? (or not properly?). If so I guess the choice is made, it would be the 3570K, I want to overclock at least mildly.

[/quotemsg]

That makes sense, those were actually my 2 options right now, I think it will pretty much depend on the deals I find on each one here.

Thanks again!

g-unit1111

Titan
I see... but what I understand is that I CANNOT overclock a locked multplier Ivy Bridge, right ? (or not properly?). If so I guess the choice is made, it would be the 3570K, I want to overclock at least mildly.

That is correct. If you get a 3570K - depending on which cooling solution you go with that will allow you to achieve a mild overclock. Most of the locked CPUs do have a built in turbo boost that can be enabled with a few clicks in the BIOS but that's about as far as they'll go.

That makes sense, those were actually my 2 options right now, I think it will pretty much depend on the deals I find on each one here.
]

Try this: http://www.aussar.es/sapphire/sapphire-radeon-hd-7850-dual-x-1gb-gddr5-.html

g-unit1111

Titan

The 3770 and 3770K have hyper threading which can increase the number of threads to 32 if needed.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

+1

However; the OP mentioned the following:

"....I was guessing the i5-3570K was already the high end choice for my budget: 8 threads and unlocked !"

It is unlocked and the high end choice of the i5 series, but that series is only 4 thread capable with no hyper-threading.

Unless I'm missing something or my eyes have indeed gone bad! :pt1cable:

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Probably my eyes are the ones that have gone bad !! XD mixing 3570K and 3770K, just a little figure u know. Anyway I found the source of my confusion:
original.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5905120/intels-ivy-bridge-the-maximum-pc-review

Thank you all guys for the info. I think I´ll go for the 3570K and overclock: I'll go with air, I think the Antec Eleven Hundred and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should give enough cooling to go somewhere between 4 and 4,5 mhz ?

And thanks once again g-unit1111 for the link, the price is good for the HD4850 here in Spain, but I dont manage to find it any cheaper than that (and it should be, consderiing the price in $ !!!). Should I go for the 2GB version though ??

g-unit1111

Titan

You mean 7850? 4850 is like five generations old now. :lol:

And yes definitely go for the 2GB version.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
So this is my final build:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (214€)
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (31€)
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (124€)
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2x8GB CL9 (77€)
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Dual-X 2GB GDDR5 (185€)
HD: WD WD20EARX Caviar Green 2TB SATA3 64MB (99€). (This is in addition to the storage I already have)
PSU: Corsair HX750W "silver" (119€)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred (100€)
Additional Case fans: Arctic Cooling F12 Pro PWM + Arctic Cooling F12 (4.8€ + 4.4€)

-----------------------
~ 980 € Including shipping (through amazon.es and pccomponentes.es)

I´m buying probably tomorrow so comments are still welcome. Thank you all for you help