Sign in with
Your question

Overheating CPU age or bad cooling flow?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:38:33 AM

Hello all

So I have a question for you and I would appreciate a quailified answer because the answers I've gotten so far from google seems to be more speculations than facts.

Background story: (Too long? Just scroll down to the bold text in the bottom)
So my girlfriend has this old HP Pavillion DV7-2045eo with a really bad design when it comes to the cooling system of the GPU and CPU. It's a pretty standard system as we know it from most laptops: A heatsink going from the CPU and GPU to a fan exhausting the heat. Nothing new there.

My girlfriend owned this laptop before she met me. If I knew her at the time she bought it she would not have a HP today ;-). She has been using it for quite a while never thinking about doing regular cleaining of the fan meaning alot of dust was allowed to build up. Naturally resulting the laptop to overheat in the end and going up to 85C when idle :o .
So one day I decided to take it apart and clean the fan and remount the heatsink with some thermal paste.
If you have taken apart a HP Pavillion you will know that this is probably the worst design known in the laptop history. It's like HP decided to start the build with the fan and heatsink, then wrapping the rest of the computer around it. This means that the heat easily builds up in the system and you have to make a complete disassembly of the laptop every time you have to clean the fan. Meaning you have to have the get the motherboard out before you can detach the heatsink. After some practice you can probably disassemble and assemble the laptop >1 hour.

When I finally had remounted the heatsink with new thermale paste and cleaned the fan I turned on the laptop and was able to get around 62C at the CPU and 52 at the GPU when idle. Both temperatures goes up with around 10C when watching a movie. So this is still too much in my opinion and I can't really see what else I can do to get the temeparetures further down.

Quote:
So very long story short: I want to know if the high temperature of the CPU is a result of a temporary damage or is a CPU going to get hotter with age? Or should I try to see if I can do more about the cooling of the CPU. I mean even if a CPU is old should I still (theoretically) be able to hold the temperature down on the same temperature as a new?
a c 114 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 10:37:40 AM

A CPU doesn't run hotter as it gets older, but what thermal paste did you use and how much was applied? A very very thin film of thermal paste is enough.
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:10:53 AM

I used a thermal paste called Noctau Nh-t1. I would have gotten AS5 but it wasn't available at the retailer and I read reviews online that this was just as good as AS5.

Well I actually did the thermal paste twice. Because of the poor result of the drop in temperature it made me realise thiat I may had used too much. First try I did a full line down the middle of the plate as I had seen one do on youtube. When I took off the heatsink I realised that I did in fact had used too much since the paste had gone out on the sides. Second try I just put a little drop in the middle and attached the heatsink. I'm thinking about trying again using the the razor blade method.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 1:37:12 PM

I normally use the extremely smallest amount I can get away with and then evenly spread over cpu/gpu core with toothpick.
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:52:15 PM

I have seen several HP laptops student bring in to our computer support area where HP has placed or left some black paper or paper tape covering up part of the exhaust hole restricting the flow of air out causing their laptops to wildly overheat and often fail.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:33:04 PM

warezme said:
I have seen several HP laptops student bring in to our computer support area where HP has placed or left some black paper or paper tape covering up part of the exhaust hole restricting the flow of air out causing their laptops to wildly overheat and often fail.

Yeah read about that. It's not the case here although the grills at the exhaust vents has so little gaps i wonder the design is even faulty in that part. It doesn't seem like the air can escape good enough. I'm actually thinking about cutting every second "grid" to give the air more room.
m
l
!