Logitech z501, what sound card would i need? Cheap!

stef0307

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Recently bought a logitech z506 5.1 surround sound system to be used with my computer
my Motherboard (asus p8z77vlx) has 3 Audio related ports;a red/pink (sound recording), and a green and a blue, i'm guessing 2 channel audio?

I'm assuming i can't get actual 5.1 with these connectors. i'm currently using an audio in cable from the subwoofer to the green port on the motherboard so its emulated 5.1

Could i buy a cheap 4 or 6 channel sound card from ebay, and get 5.1? where would i connect the cables into? e.g. the ones below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREATIVE-SB-LIVE-MODEL-CT4870-/370748670843?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards&hash=item565257c37b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Channel-CH-C-Media-CMI8738-PCI-Sound-Audio-Card-/290514318733?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards&hash=item43a400b58d

P8Z77VLX.jpg

soundcardspeakersystem.png

Bejusek

Distinguished
You should be able to use 5.1 sound from 3 jacks. Just assign a rear-speakers to red (mic) output in realtek management panel. You may need to enable jack sensing to do that.

Switch your mic to front panel.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Certainly those speakers are good for the price but, if you take into account the Built-in controller unit, the speakers and the amp your cost pr item is only about $11 (US). Your on-board sound processor won't lower the quality of the final sound

It's also worth noting that your on-board sound processor is better than either of those two sound cards you posted a link to.

If you want to make a meaningful improvement over on-board sound you should be prepared to spend at least $50 (or your countries equivalent) on a sound card. Of course you would then need to upgrade your speakers to take full advantage of the better sound card.

Another-wards your current on-board sound and the logitech z506 are a good match.

As far as how to hook them up goes, just follow the manual that comes with your speakers. Each one of those 3 connections is for 2 speakers so you have the proper connections for 5.1. :sol: