Sign in with
Your question

Logitech z501, what sound card would i need? Cheap!

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2013 9:39:49 AM

Recently bought a logitech z506 5.1 surround sound system to be used with my computer
my Motherboard (asus p8z77vlx) has 3 Audio related ports;a red/pink (sound recording), and a green and a blue, i'm guessing 2 channel audio?

I'm assuming i can't get actual 5.1 with these connectors. i'm currently using an audio in cable from the subwoofer to the green port on the motherboard so its emulated 5.1

Could i buy a cheap 4 or 6 channel sound card from ebay, and get 5.1? where would i connect the cables into? e.g. the ones below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREATIVE-SB-LIVE-MODEL-CT4870...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Channel-CH-C-Media-CMI8738-...

a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 10:18:01 AM

You should be able to use 5.1 sound from 3 jacks. Just assign a rear-speakers to red (mic) output in realtek management panel. You may need to enable jack sensing to do that.

Switch your mic to front panel.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 1:59:01 PM

Certainly those speakers are good for the price but, if you take into account the Built-in controller unit, the speakers and the amp your cost pr item is only about $11 (US). Your on-board sound processor won't lower the quality of the final sound

It's also worth noting that your on-board sound processor is better than either of those two sound cards you posted a link to.

If you want to make a meaningful improvement over on-board sound you should be prepared to spend at least $50 (or your countries equivalent) on a sound card. Of course you would then need to upgrade your speakers to take full advantage of the better sound card.

Another-wards your current on-board sound and the logitech z506 are a good match.

As far as how to hook them up goes, just follow the manual that comes with your speakers. Each one of those 3 connections is for 2 speakers so you have the proper connections for 5.1. :sol: 
!