Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is having six cores activated harmfull?

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:48:05 AM

Hey guys i bought the FX-6100 a few weeks ago and like everyday i opened my Pc this morning and realized that on the screen before windows loads it said six cores activated and had a little picture saying 6X with arrows. I seriously don't know how it happened and if it is harmful i also tried bringing it down from ms config but it hasn't made a change So Please HELP!!! :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 
a c 103 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:51:01 AM

You have a 6 core CPU and you are worrying that all 6 cores work?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:53:07 AM

Huh?

You bought a 6 core CPU. How can you be worried if it has 6 cores?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 10:09:30 AM

It will work fine... They call it a 6 core CPU so that all 6 cores are present and they work...

Score
February 1, 2013 10:40:52 AM

Im not worrying if it works or not im just asking if it is any harmful or not and i just wander on how i can change the number of cores running
Score

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 11:01:17 AM

iwas said:
Im not worrying if it works or not im just asking if it is any harmful or not and i just wander on how i can change the number of cores running

That's like asking if having 6 cylinders in your car is "harmful". If you have a 6 cylinder motor, having 6 cylinders is not harmful.

If you want to disable some of your computing power, you can do so in your BIOS. However, I would not recommend you do so until you understand what you are doing and why.

Making the wrong adjustments in your BIOS is something that can be harmful. It's like adjusting the A/F ratio or boost on a car. If you know what you are doing, you can make the car perform better. If you don't know what you are doing, you can "harm" your car.

Your CPU is supposed to run on six cores. I recommend leaving it alone.
a c 103 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 11:01:53 AM

No its not harmful to run all 6 cores on a 6 core processor its how it should be run. If you want to change the no of cores look for an active core control setting in the bios.
Score
February 1, 2013 11:46:54 AM

ok thanks guys
Score
February 1, 2013 11:59:13 AM

Best answer selected by iwas.
Score
!