Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 need help upgrading

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 10:03:51 PM

Hi

I have a comuter that feel can deliver what I need for my gaming need except.

I bought my self a new monitor, to run 2010x1080, and now some of the games I play in that res are strugling.

So I seek help deciding on the best grahics card upgrade for my computer that will not be so powerfull it will bottleneck the system.

This is my compuer :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum…uct=4119564#N33

I have changed the rams, so I have 16 gigs now.

I also changed the PSU to this one, since the built in one was kinda crap.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-unit…er-supply.html/

Also, I dont care if he best upgrade would be a AMD HD Radeon or a Geforce.
Also I am interrested in perhaps trying out a dual GPU card, since I cant sli or xfire with my motherboard!

Hope to hear so great input :) 

More about : gtx 260 upgrading

July 29, 2012 10:09:55 PM

Both links are broken, what CPU?

What is your price budget for a GPU?
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:11:23 PM

Both links did not work, but seeing as the PSU is Corsair and you are coming from a GTX260, I would say you are alright with most modern cards.

There's some good cards out there right now at a good price; what's your budget?
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:21:35 PM

It seems like you have an i7 860, which is still fast by today's standards.

That being said, putting a dual GPU in there is not the best idea you would have had. They run hot, and in your stock HP case, its going to be gasping for air.

The fastest card I would put on there is probably a 6950 or a 7850.
July 29, 2012 10:27:44 PM

Deemo13 said:
It seems like you have an i7 860, which is still fast by today's standards.

That being said, putting a dual GPU in there is not the best idea you would have had. They run hot, and in your stock HP case, its going to be gasping for air.

The fastest card I would put on there is probably a 6950 or a 7850.

Forgot to mention, I have added twp fans to the case, one in the front ( bottom ) sucking in air, and one i the back ( top ) blowing out air, was told this was the best way to went the case I have.

what card would you think would give me the greatest boost, compared to what I have now?
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:32:08 PM

Here's what I would do.

If you want to keep your stuff but maybe upgrade in the future, go and get a new case for a few bucks and move everything into that. I've done that to a few HP computers and I personally believe its a much better idea. You are able to upgrade better and have much better airflow.

I still stand my ground when I say the 7850 is about as fast as you could go with that processor. Maybe even a 7870. Heck maybe a 570, but not much higher than any of those.

I'm assuming that when you buy this card you dont plan to upgrade anything for awhile, so I would get a newer case to guarantee better airflow.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:33:49 PM

GTX680 GTX670 5% less power for $100 less. HD7970 would also work well.
-Depends on how much you want to spend - either of those cards would work well.
-Bruce
July 29, 2012 10:38:23 PM

Deemo13 said:
Here's what I would do.

If you want to keep your stuff but maybe upgrade in the future, go and get a new case for a few bucks and move everything into that. I've done that to a few HP computers and I personally believe its a much better idea. You are able to upgrade better and have much better airflow.

I still stand my ground when I say the 7850 is about as fast as you could go with that processor. Maybe even a 7870. Heck maybe a 570, but not much higher than any of those.

I'm assuming that when you buy this card you dont plan to upgrade anything for awhile, so I would get a newer case to guarantee better airflow.

I have thought alot about gettning a new case, I just honstly have no Idea what to look for i a good case!

I have just read a review about he 7850 and compared to my current card it would indeed be a huge upgrade.

If I choose that card I would still have room in my budget for a case, any suggestions?
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:46:37 PM

Its more or less a matter of preference by way of looks, but some cases are much better than others in terms of airflow and cable management.

This one is a pretty solid choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Personally, I like the militaristic look of this one, and I have done a build inside of it for my cousin (Ironically I put his HP in it). It has good looks, cable management, and handles as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:47:43 PM

HAF 912 Advanced, not the regular model, if you can find it, otherwise the CM Storm enforcer, both are built to last and are equipped with very good cooling.
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:48:44 PM

Smeg45 said:
HAF 912 Advanced, not the regular model, if you can find it, otherwise the CM Storm enforcer, both are built to last and are equipped with very good cooling.

Also, I have no idea how I forgot about the HAF, but that is a stellar case as well.
July 29, 2012 10:55:51 PM

Sweet, I will just be checking prices, and then I will report back, live in denmark, and its 1 at night now so will get some sleep.

Thanks so far guys :) 
July 30, 2012 7:17:00 PM

OK so I am back now.

Had my good friend come over today, and he asked me what I was doing, so I replied, I was looking around for some prices, after you had suggested the different cards and cases.

Then he told me there are some 260 versions with 216 something, and if that was the case with my card, it could have a say in what card to choose.

So we ran GPU-z and to my amazement, we saw something I had never bothered to check, since it was and oem card, I just assumed it was stock setting ftw, but it goes to show, It has a wooping ~1.8 GB ram on it :D 

So he said, that would proberly change the entire situation, and He suggested I reported it back here in the tread, to hear your thoughts on it!

Heres a screen capture.

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 9:06:28 PM

The 260 is getting really creaky and old, no matter how much RAM it has - it won't even utilise that much RAM. With only 192 shaders and 33G/t fillrate it isn't exactly top of the line anymore. I personally would recommend a 7950 to run that monitor res and sell off that GPU.
July 30, 2012 9:15:07 PM

Well that settles it then, thanks for the awesome replies, now I will go price hunting for the best deal :D 
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 10:31:09 PM

No problem, glad we could help.
July 30, 2012 11:11:53 PM

Deemo13 said:
No problem, glad we could help.

Ohhhh man, here I am thinking I had it sorted out, talked to my mate, then he says, are you sure those cards wont be bottlencked by your system?

SO here I am with the last question to my equation!

I have settled for a XFX Radeon HD 7850 Double Dissipation Edition, since I can buy it and also afford a great Case. But I just need to know if I will get the full benifit, or my system will be draging the performance of the card down to much?
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 12:13:36 AM

One of the members of this website, El Tigre, runs an i7 920 and a GTX670. He seems to run games fine. The 7850 is not as good as a 670. I think you should be alright.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 12:17:26 AM

It will be fine. I'd push for a 7870 if you can.
!