Sign in with
Your question

My windows 7 is not booting

Last response: in Windows 7
February 12, 2012 6:48:37 PM

Hey everyone im having an issue with windows 7

it happened after i upgraded my Mobo and CPU, i booted my PC up and it got to the windows 7 logo and midway through that little animation it froze and rebooted, that is as far as it gets,

i have tried a system repair, a system restore to an earlier point, i tried a MBR fix, nothing has worked

Help?

More about : windows booting

a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2012 8:10:47 PM

Hi :) 

With a new Mobo windows wont just BOOT back into windows ..you NEED to reinstall windows 7.....save your data first....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:19:19 PM

Seriously...

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats the reason, drivers?

cheers btw :) 
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2012 9:15:23 PM

Yeh the reasons is drivers, When windows is installed the registry is configured to load specific drivers for specific hardware: CPU, GPU, and so on to allow it to boot. The only way to get around this issue is to buy software like Acronis that strips the drivers. In any case I would still recommend the rebuild. Anytime you replace the system board, nothing runs better than a brand new OS.
m
l
February 12, 2012 9:51:24 PM

Ok fair enough, its just that im silly and only have one drive fore eveything, i should invest in like a 80GB drive for my OS really.

m
l
February 12, 2012 10:14:50 PM

devin93 said:
Hey everyone im having an issue with windows 7

it happened after i upgraded my Mobo and CPU, i booted my PC up and it got to the windows 7 logo and midway through that little animation it froze and rebooted, that is as far as it gets,

i have tried a system repair, a system restore to an earlier point, i tried a MBR fix, nothing has worked

Help?

Try booting in safe mode. Make sure the BIOS ACHI setting matches your previous machine (either on/off - so try it both ways).

Last time my MB died, I was able to boot up the new MB without problems. But the MB type was very similar. (not exact - but almost the same chipset INTEL P41 -> INTEL P43)

bill

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2012 11:31:06 PM

Windows 7 is very good at coping with a motherboard transplant providing the new hardware is not to dissimilar, certainly much better than Windows XP at doing this. You should perform a memory test on your computer with memtest86 4.0a to make sure that everything with your new motherboard is OK. If all memory tests pass then you will have no choice other than to do a clean install.
m
l
February 12, 2012 11:47:51 PM

I've managed to get a H55 install of windows 7 booting on a P35 motherboard before, and as far as I'm aware those chipsets are not particularly similar. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of faulty hardware just yet, but chances are a clean install will fix the problems you are having.
m
l
February 13, 2012 5:43:46 AM

if the last 3 comments are true then its a clean install im gonna need, ive gone from a mini ATX intel motherboard to a rather large AMD motherboard.
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:32:23 AM

Actually, is there a way to install the drivers from disk to HDD via command prompt?
m
l
!