A Quiet Performance System

TzarIgor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I'm planning my first build. :eek: No more Dell and HP desktops! My primary goal is a quiet system with performance to last. No overclocking or multiple GPUs envisioned. Here's my parts list that I'm considering:

Intel i7-3770
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP mobo (lot's of i/o)
Scythe Mugen 3 cpu cooler
G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3-1600 16 MB (2x8) memory
Antec P280 case
Antec TP-750 PSU
Samsung 830 128 MB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Anybody see any glaring issues? Initially I plan to use only the Intel HD4000 integrated GPU and add a better GPU down the road.

Thanks for any feedback.

TzarIgor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

:pt1cable: After doing more research, it appears that I need to ditch the ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP mobo .. or any of the H77 mobos. ASRock does not list any supported (certified) 8 MB memory modules. Since I intend to eventually fully populate the memory array with 32 MB, I need a good board that supports both 8 MB DDR3 1600 memory modules and features lot's of i/o (SATA 6 and USB 3.0).

I'm considering ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 now. Am I wrong in my conclusions? Of course, I do not plan to overclock or have dual GPUs, so it is overkill.

If you're wanting 8 RAM DIMMs, then you should consider an X79 platform. You won't find more than 4 slots on any Z77 motherboard.

You can, however, purchase 8GB DIMMs :) There are 4x8GB kits available (quite expensive) to give you a total of 32GB.

Have you considered the Corsair Obsidian 550D or the Fractal Design R4? They're both quiet cases and I personally find them to be more attractive -coughs- 550D still is the sexiest case IMO -coughs- :D

TzarIgor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
An X79 system would be nice with quad channel memory and 39xx cpu .. but that is out of the budget. That is why I'd like to stick to an Ivy Bridge i7 cpu and dual channel 32 MB memory. I thought that H77 boards should also support 32 MB built with 4x8MB DIMMs, but ASRock does not appear to list any.

I've considered the Corsair 550D .. looks like a nice case .. but the Antec 280 is about $40 cheaper and has some good reviews.

Ahh, yes, that's true..the price on the Obsidian series is really expensive compared to other options out there. Corsair truly is a premium brand when it comes to their products.

And regarding H77 boards, yes, they should come with 4 DIMM slots. The ASRock H77-Pro-M is a great sub $100 board that has 4 DIMM slots :)

Also, I apologise, your earlier post confused me thinking you were saying you wanted eight 4GB sticks, not four 8GB sticks.