Would "max performance" on a Geforce GTX 570 cause problems?

Athawolfus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hi there,

You see, I got a new monitor a few days ago (a LG E2251, might have something to ask about it too, soon). Since it's running at 1900 x 1080 resolution, it caused a noticeable FPS drop in some games compared to my old 1280 x 1024 monitor. Especially in Skyrim, it caused a lot of sudden FPS drops that persist for a few seconds and stuttering.

So in the Nvidia control panel, I went into Power Management settings for the particular program (TESV.exe) and switched it to Maximum Performance from Adaptive, as well as giving the program the highest priority in the Task Manager, and the problem seems to be largely solved with a steady framerate around 60 FPS.

The question is, would this cause any issues/problems for my GTX 570 in the long run? The card should have switched to this performance level, but some reason it doesn't, I guess. The temperature in MSI Afterburner did not exceed 66c, which is around what would normally be with the Adaptive setting, but I'm still worried if setting the card to the maximum clock speed etc. would cause any problems other than the temperature. If not I will use this same approach for other GPU-intensive games with stuttering and lag too.

Thanks.

You will see a big drop in FPS going from 1280x1024 to 1900x1080. The card has to do a lot more work to pump out the game at that resolution. However a GTX570 should run Skyrim just fine with that monitor. Perhaps not fully maxed but the graphic levels would be pretty high.

Athawolfus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the responses. Higher power consumption when the PC is idle is not an issue because I'm switching to Max Performance only when playing the game.

I now get FPS values between 50 and 60 now but I still don't want to max out every setting because my E8400 CPU hobbles the performance somewhat, especially with shadows etc.