Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Girl cut heat sync fan cable, damage done???

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2013 12:39:16 PM

So a vindictive girl who decided to get back at me for ridiculous reasons had one of her tech savy girl friends cut a wire that powered the CPU heat sink fan so it read that the fan was plugged in, but it didnt function at all. i hadnt noticed this after turning it on X amount of times and running it, scratching my head as to why it was shutting down. when i finally did realize it, the heat sink was extremely hot and i spliced the wires together to fix it.
what i was wondering is if i should exchange the MoBo and processor, i got it on jan 2nd from amazn and i can exchange it.
should i? i mean i think im going to exchange the processor no matter what, but should i exchange the mobo as well?
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 12:55:55 PM

siltix said:
So a vindictive girl who decided to get back at me for ridiculous reasons had one of her tech savy girl friends cut a wire that powered the CPU heat sink

:o  That is some weird way to get revenge.
Anyway is the fan running after you reattach the wire? Also if the fan is working then you don't need to replace it also I don't think that will be covered under warranty.
February 1, 2013 1:00:40 PM

nahhh it doesnt need to be under warranty, amazn will exchange it for free if its within 30 days. it works, but it was still running at high temps, which worries me a bit and since i CAN exchange the mobo and CPU, i was wondering if i should.

She knew i loved my pc. i just built it.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 1:05:51 PM

If you can get it replaced do it fast as today feb 1st. If they don't open the heatsink clean the older thermal paste and apply new paste and make sure to do it right. More paste and less paste both are dangerous. Also make sure that your heatsink is properly seated on the processor
a c 78 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 1:06:31 PM

siltix said:
nahhh it doesnt need to be under warranty, amazn will exchange it for free if its within 30 days. it works, but it was still running at high temps, which worries me a bit and since i CAN exchange the mobo and CPU, i was wondering if i should.

She knew i loved my pc. i just built it.

You are probably fine. Those things are supposed to shut down *before* they get hot enough to damage themselves.
February 1, 2013 1:10:51 PM

it did shut down like 30 times, and i kept turning it back on before i realized the fan wasnt working >.> at some points itd shut off within 10 second of turning it on, and sometimes itd get to the boot screen. youre saying it should be okay? i think i want to replace the CPU just for the hell of it.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 1:15:16 PM

siltix said:
it did shut down like 30 times, and i kept turning it back on before i realized the fan wasnt working >.> at some points itd shut off within 10 second of turning it on, and sometimes itd get to the boot screen. youre saying it should be okay? i think i want to replace the CPU just for the hell of it.

Yes it will be okay but since you are willing and can exchange it I'd say go for it.
a c 78 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 1:17:47 PM

siltix said:

I'm not sure, but if I had to bet one way or the other, I would say it's fine. (Do some stress tests and see how it does.
February 1, 2013 1:20:19 PM

mmmm i think ill just exchange the processor then. because if i change the Mobo ill have to clean the system and reinstall windows
THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!

what did i learn here? (b****es be trippin.)

Best solution

February 1, 2013 1:28:07 PM

I take it she's not a big FAN of yours, you should CUT all ties with that girl.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

February 1, 2013 2:39:29 PM

yeahhhh actually, i just noticed... it seems that she poured water or may some other type of liquid all over the system.... should i just replace all the insides...?
February 1, 2013 2:47:38 PM

siltix said:
yeahhhh actually, i just noticed... it seems that she poured water or may some other type of liquid all over the system.... should i just replace all the insides...?

Wauw dude! Did you cheat on her or something??
Anyway I would replace it all since you clearly don't know what else she could have done:o 
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 2:54:00 PM

Is the liquid yellow? :) 
February 1, 2013 6:01:53 PM

no, we moved in together and i just didnt want to be her bf. she was cool with the idea BEFORE we moved in, two days after we got a place together and she started acting fishy as all hell. one month later im living at my moms and im out a chunk of money >.>
February 1, 2013 6:03:57 PM

i mean, i was sleeping around with other girls, but i dont see how she could have found out about them. i was also NOT dating her. i made that perfectly clear. the liquid dried up completely since then. the damage had to of been done a week ago and i just plugged it in yesterday, due to relocation.
February 1, 2013 6:11:59 PM

Best answer selected by siltix.
a c 78 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 6:15:05 PM

Liquid is only a problem if it conducts electricity.

You could *theoretically* take the battery out of a phone, wait for all stored energy in the phone to discharge, and drop it in a tub.

As long as you wait until it's totally dry to reinstall the battery, it should still work.

!