Sign in with
Your question

Which PSU Should I get?(Couple of other questions too)

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2013 2:29:34 PM

Hey there guys, :hello: 

After reading hundreds of reviews from this site and finding most of my answers to questions about products perfectly reviewed on toms, either on the site or in the forums, I've finally decided to sign up and ask myself!

Im looking at creating a home system(see below), and all I need to know is which PSU should I go for? What wattage? Which Company?
I like the idea of a semi modular/modular psu, much tidier and you get what you need with out clutter.. but here is a few points about the system i plan on building..
  • im not sure if i want to expand this in future with SLI graphics
  • I will want to add more fans to cool. The case has noise cancelation foam, so it doesnt bother me
  • I want to add a card reader, with additional usb slots.
  • Possibility to upgrade CPU to i7 / Add a water cooling system.

What PSU would you recommend, because I'm actually stumped when looking at the market.. I don't have a clue how much Wattage the system will ACTUALLY require. If im not mistaken the system is set, so if i choose to in future for a little extra power I can over-clock.. But what will do it?

If I bought a Semi Modular, What cables are included to hookup to a system?
    With a modular, does it come with any cables or do I have to get them all my self?
    I obviously want an effective PSU, been reading about 80plus and not being effecint due to too much Wattage. Im not too keen on breaking the price too much.. what I'm paying already is enough. :sweat:  But if you know of any-ways of reducing the price, even if you cant help with the PSU SITU(lol), feel free to reply I'm open ears. :D 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-TranQ-01-A 58.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£25.07 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Im not too sure if this is actually a good cooler or not, but jus gonna give it a shot anyways. I'd like a cheaper alternative if possible.
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£70.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (£342.91 @ Amazon UK)
    Done alot of reviews over and over of other 670s, Im using a card for 3d Modeling aswell so want something powerfull, any other options?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.14 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: This is where you help!
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £995.30
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm off to work. :sleep: 
  • More about : psu couple questions

a b ) Power supply
    February 1, 2013 6:22:10 PM

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator is what I've used successfully in the past. ( http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js... ) Use this as you make changes to your projected build.

Modular PSUs usually come with all of the needed cables. It really is as simple as reading the product information to find out if they do.

And Tom's just had a great article recently on reputable power supplies ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-ma... )
    !