Why is my FPS dropping when I move my mouse cursor in games?

Vatsuggggg

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi! This is not the only forum I've searched for help, it's like this.

When I came home from school this Wednesday I went to the PC to play some StarCraft 2 and immediately I knew something was wrong because as soon as I moved the mouse cursor the FPS went down to 5-15 (I normally have 60+), first I thought I had too much programs up at the same time but no, it was just StarCraft 2 and internet.
I barely finished the game and was really pissed (I still am) because I have never had this problem before and wondered what was causing it.
Then I started League of legends, Minecraft and Warcraft 3 and the same problem occurred there.

In one night this happened and I really don't know what's causing it.
So if someone know how to solve it please help me. :)

bimde

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
This has happened to me before, I tried a few things, but updating the drivers for my graphics card was the final solution. You can also giving high priority to the game in the task manager. Task manager is a good way to check what is using system resources, open it up and see which processes are using the most memory, sometimes a virus guard scan in the background is enough to kill the fps. Are you using a dedicated graphics card? Make sure its enabled and its not the iGPU playing the games. That is all that I could think of right now, good luck! :)

try updating the mb chipset drivers and the usb drivers. try the mouse and keyboard is a usb 2.0 port. check to see if there any bios updates for your mb. look at all the devices plugged into the usb port one of them may have gone bad. try running with just mouse and keyboard. try another set to see if the error follows mouse or the pc.

BlaZeee

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

How did U solve that because i hate that problem too ... please rite me on gmail... andrejssk@gmail.com ;)
Please because i cant play any game ... :(((

dars0n

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I had the exact same problem as this.

After much time spent trying to figure it out I noticed that with an old mouse the problem didn't happen at all. It was still an optical windows usb mouse, but wasnt a gaming mouse.

After a while i discovered if I open the game then alt tab out, open task manager and close it again, then go back in the game, the FPS only dropped about 20, instead of 55 (with gaming mouse).

davidpeder2

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

I have had this problem the last like 3-4 weeks, and now i got it to work. When i play games, i play them trough steam. So i go to the "Properties" if the .exe file to both Steam and the game that lags, goes to the "Compatibility" tab, and check the "Run this program as administrator" box. And now it work whitout ANY lag spikes when i move my mouse.

David Mudd

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Did you ever find a solution? Mine just started doing this exact same thing. I've been using my Steel Series Cataclysm mouse without any problems for years. Now any game (other than apparently Skyrim) will drop in FPS whenever I move my mouse cursor. This started last night in the middle of a game of League of Legends. No downloads or newly installed software, or anything occurring between GREAT GAMEPLAY, and OMFG IF I MOVE MY MOUSE I DIE gameplay.

To clarify, Skyrim runs perfectly. XCOM, League of Legends, Dragon Age Origins, all greatly drop in FPS any time the cursor moves in the slightest.

I have since updated my graphics card ATI Radeon HD 6900 (2gig version), updated mouse software (none needed), played around with various mouse settings, did a system restore to 3 days before the problem started, C Cleaner cleaned my PC, Norton checked my PC, nothing at all revealed what is happening that is causing the lag. My graphics card is not over heating...never even comes close. I have had that problem with laptops in the past and am very aware of what it looks like. This however is happening on my desktop, which has never had overheating problems.

I am stumped, and considering a Windows reinstall, though I've read on another forums about similar situations where a reinstall has not solved the problem.

stimuli

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I discovered this problem fairly recently when playing Heroes of Might and Magic 6. FPS would drop so drastically when I moved the mouse as to bring everything on screen to a dead stop (0 fps). As someone else mentioned, this never happened with my older mouse.

Here's what fixed it for me: lower the mouse's "report rate".
In the software menu for my Logitech mouse the report rate is set to 1000 as default. Dropping it to 125 completely eliminated any frame rate drop from moving the mouse.

After finding this I also noticed it increased my Skyrim fps...which I hadn't even noticed was a problem.

total_

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Dropping my report rate helped a bit but it did not get rid of the problem for me. I'm desperate for a solution since I cant play any game. Someone please help!

woocam

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012

Try running the game in admin mode. That's what worked for me after 2 hours of not being able to play anything. :) If you run through Steam, it doesn't just work to run Steam in admin mode. It has to be the actually .exe file in SteamApps folder. Hope it works for you too!

Connor Petersen

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

IAmMattAttack

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS WORKED! Drop the polling rate down. (Mine was at 1000 and it fixes it!)

Ebithril

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Do you get the constant lag as SOON as you just move your mouse?
It can be just to orient the adventure map or move around units - and you notice that the game goes down to ludicrous levels of FPS?

For me, I searched long and hard, updating drivers, programs and what not and couldn't find a fix, and I bet it's the same for many of you - so here is what's solved it for me.

So you have lag while moving your mouse? OK
And you have a gamnig-mouse? OK
... And there is the problem!
For some ♥♥♥♥ed up reason can Heroes VI NOT handle higher values of Pooling Rate on mouses, without gonig ape-♥♥♥♥!

So do you have a gaming mouse, there will in all probability be an advanced setting with their own driver to chagne the "Pooling Rate".
I reduced mine from 1000 to 125, and so far, the game seems to be runing smoothly!

I really hope this helps you guys as it helped me, because I just spent about half a week just to find a fix for this!

Lastly...
I'd like to say "♥♥♥♥ YOU UBISOFT!" - how bad can you ♥♥♥♥ up to make MOUSE SETTIGNS have such a HUGE impact on your game to force it down under 10 fps?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

woocam

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
To update my comment above (considering this thread popped up again), running the game admin mode and changing the polling rate only went so far. It worked for every game except Diablo III. No matter what I did, it would still have 0 FPS as I continuously move the cursor around the screen.

Its a solution that isn't that great, but it appears to be video card related because as soon as I got a new video card last week (upgraded from Radeon HD 5970 to Radeon HD 7950), I no longer have to run any game in admin mode and Diablo III works fine.

XxZacksterZxX

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Hey Man, I've had the same problem, although with MineCraft, I fixed it, but all you have to do is either buy a new mouse (Preferred Solution) Because the mouse isnt able to handle sending so many currents of information to the computer, so for example, if you have a "Beefy Computer" (Alienware, HP 550's Dell Inspiron's....etc) then the amount of fps you have in a game, every time you move your mouse, it sends that many signals to the computer! The Second solution, is to go out and buy a 2 port "3G Usb port" so that one end plugs into a usb and then there is a usb sticking out the other end, try plugging it in to that, and it should work fine :)

SlaKer440

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
GUYS! Check out this video, this is a little virus that is causing it!
Watch the video and do exactly as it says, the objective is to get rid of stij.exe for good, everytime you end the process it automatically turns itself back on. ALSO, once you are in the stage that you deleted the stij.exe and the folder it is in, there is also another folder called ljkb or something like that in the same directory, (C:/windows/system32) also delete that as that contains the stij.exe virus! Hopes this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=6AaVxX6fASw&src_vid=0Gur__NU7Gc&annotation_id=annotation_1159385685