Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my psu?

Last response: in Components
February 1, 2013 3:35:23 PM

Hey guys, I will be purchasing another Gigabyte 7850 later this week to run Xfire cards. I'm currently using a Thermaltake TR2 600w psu. I was wondering if I should consider upgrading my psu? not that I've had any issues, I just wasn't sure if I would need more wattage now. This psu has been great, and I've used several ThermalTake psu's for previous systems. I just want to make sure this psu is going to handle my system with another GPU being added in.

Thanks!

More about : upgrade psu

a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 3:50:03 PM

chrisafp07 said:
Hey guys, I will be purchasing another Gigabyte 7850 later this week to run Xfire cards. I'm currently using a Thermaltake TR2 600w psu. I was wondering if I should consider upgrading my psu? not that I've had any issues, I just wasn't sure if I would need more wattage now. This psu has been great, and I've used several ThermalTake psu's for previous systems. I just want to make sure this psu is going to handle my system with another GPU being added in.

Thanks!

There is no doubt you need a new PSU. Your CPU is very power hungry and your GPU is too due to the heavy overclock. So adding that GPU will much likely exceed the power that your current PSU can provide.

I would suggest to get this PSU, t provides great performance and quality at a fair price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is a review of the PSU:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_editio...

Quotes:

"The XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies performed very well across the range. The DC voltage load regulation was excellent from 20% to 100% DC loading and in combination with very low AC ripple/noise levels means excellent DC quality on all rails on all three power supplies."

"If you are in the market for a high quality wired power supply, at a fair price, then I highly recommend any of the XFX Pro Series Core Edition units. I have no hesitation in awarding all three XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies the OCC Gold award."

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 4:05:08 PM

I would probably upgrade to a better brand, though Thermaltake generally isn't to bad (i had a 400w TR2 which lasted years) the wattage itself should be fine. Looking at the AnandTech review there system which is beastily (i7 3960X) and overclocked to 4.3GHz with a 7850 total system consumption was at load (Metro 2033) was under 300w.

Not sure how much you can spend on a new PSU, but you can't go wrong with Corsair.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 4:11:56 PM

OK, since you have Overclocked, i would recommend a new power supply for you. Try the Corsair HX650 or the TX750M. The TX750M would be better for you, due to that OC. If you bring it down to stock clocks your current one will do but the efficiency will be low...
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:50:16 PM

Would a TX650 cut it? Or should I definitely go with the 750? What is the difference between modular and not?
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:51:15 PM

I'd like to spend from $60-120tops if possible, the card is $200, I dont want to push my budget too much, but if I have to wait to make sure than I will.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 6:00:38 PM

chrisafp07 said:
I'd like to spend from $60-120tops if possible, the card is $200, I dont want to push my budget too much, but if I have to wait to make sure than I will.

Take a look at the PSU I posted in my first reply. :) 
m
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 7:17:50 PM

chrisafp07 said:
Would a TX650 cut it? Or should I definitely go with the 750? What is the difference between modular and not?

Hi - Please be aware that alvine's post above is correct.
600w is enough to CF 2 7850's. If you want to upgrade your
PSU anyway, do so, but you don't need to in order to CF
2 7850's. realhardtechX suggests 575w for 2 7850's
in CF, this is their expertise, safe to go with their
recommendation.

Tom
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:19:41 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Take a look at the PSU I posted in my first reply. :) 

Yea, I did and I'm going to just go with that because I dont think I'll have to upgrade for years haha
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:21:15 PM

I understand the 600w is enough, but I am pushing the psu too hard and risking my system? Thats the only thing I don't want. If the psu will handle this setup no problems then there is no need for me to upgrade. I just don't want to get the card in, install it and have major issues, or at least have to buy another.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 9:24:38 PM

chrisafp07 said:
I understand the 600w is enough, but I am pushing the psu too hard and risking my system? Thats the only thing I don't want. If the psu will handle this setup no problems then there is no need for me to upgrade. I just don't want to get the card in, install it and have major issues, or at least have to buy another.

If you were to buy that PSU you would not have to worry about a thing. XFX PSUs are assembled by seasonic and tested under extreme temperatures.

I can only say one thing when buying a PSU, "Better safe than sorry"!
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:29:12 PM

"Better safe than sorry" < That is what I'm thinking, I'm sure my THermaltake could handle but oh boy if it decided to fry my system I'd be set WAY too far back. I'll just upgrade. Thanks for all the help from everyone with differing perspectives :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2013 11:18:42 PM

chrisafp07 said:
"Better safe than sorry" < That is what I'm thinking, I'm sure my THermaltake could handle but oh boy if it decided to fry my system I'd be set WAY too far back. I'll just upgrade. Thanks for all the help from everyone with differing perspectives :) 

Wise choice, mate. Good luck with it. :) 
m
l
!