Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia GT 630 Install issues.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 4:13:44 AM

I received a Dell Inspiron 530 from a client at work today saying it didn't work. It is a C2Q machine so I figured I'd take it any how. Upon performing diagnostics I found the GPU to be bad and replaced it with the new GT 630 along with a full format and fresh install. Install went perfect, so now I install the latest nvidia driver from their site and those install perfect. After driver install I re-boot and the system hangs and re boots at the splash screen every single time with the drivers installed (I have tried 6 different versions off the site and also the ones that came with the card) Now the funny thing is if I go into safe mode and delete all the drivers the machine boots perfect and lists the GT 630 as "standard VGA graphics adapter" in device manager, the 630 doesn't even show up. This machine does not have onboard graphics yet has setting for them in the BIOS. The machine lets me install the graphics drivers (usually with a defective card the driver installer will error out) but somehow windows doesnt know it's there ?? I am so lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

C2Q 6600
4 GB DDR 2
WD 500 GB
GT 630
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2012 4:17:41 AM

You can try the latest Beta Drivers, I would also use Driver Sweeper first to uninstall any bits previous drivers left behind. They will conflict with the newer drivers.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46279
July 30, 2012 4:45:14 AM

El Tigre said:
You can try the latest Beta Drivers, I would also use Driver Sweeper first to uninstall any bits previous drivers left behind. They will conflict with the newer drivers.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46279

Tried them and I have also used Driversweeper every time I remove the drivers. This is not seeming to be a very conventional issue. I have come to notice that I feel my CMOS battery may be dead or dying. Every time I unplug the machine I receive a "diskette seek error" with press F1 for set-up F2 to boot normally. Also every time it is unplugged the clock goes crazy. Do you think this would create any issues with the video card ?
Related resources

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2012 5:00:30 AM

Try replacing the CMOS battery and also try flashing the latest BIOS for that computer. It sounds like more of a mobo problem then GPU. You can try running a memtest and a CHKDSK to test the integrity of the RAM and HDD.
July 30, 2012 5:29:35 AM

El Tigre said:
Try replacing the CMOS battery and also try flashing the latest BIOS for that computer. It sounds like more of a mobo problem then GPU. You can try running a memtest and a CHKDSK to test the integrity of the RAM and HDD.

ran 4 hours of memtest, ram is good
ran full diagnostic on HDD, it's fine
BIOS are latest

I have seen it before where some cards just wont work on MFG mobos, GT-520 did it to me on an intel P915G, is it possible since this card is like BRAND spanking new that maybe something has changed and it's just not playing nice with the system ? Idk it's just so odd that the Nvidia driver installer sees the card but windows does not and then still somehow lands on using the card but as a standard VGA adapter. It just doesnt make any sense
July 31, 2012 2:34:17 PM

El Tigre said:

I was reluctant to accuse the motherboard as it just seemed like some registry glicth or something in the OS but after I swapped the CMOS battery and performed another fresh install and still had all of the same issues I had no option but to try a new board and it worked perfect. You were right good sir, thanks for the suggestions.
July 31, 2012 2:34:30 PM

Best answer selected by CMI86.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 3:59:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!