Using Cybercafe to Clear full camera cards?

3 of us will be traveling for 2 weeks in the UK and Cologne area of
Germany and each of us has (sigh) a different digital camera that each
takes a different style card.

I am not taking a laptop. I worry about filling up the cards on our
cameras.
My Nikon uses CF cards
D's Nikon has SD card
L's Fuji is XD or something like that (teeny card)

I have several CF cards since all my various Nikons have used the same
card - I have 2 x 512MB and 2X-128MB, so I'm likely to be OK.

L. has 1X128 and 1X512 and D. has 1X512.

I am thinking to take along my little (very small and slim) "card
reader" that reads all 3 types of cards and the little "thumb hard
drive" Lexar thing that is 1 GIG.

I am wondering if I go to a cybercafe if I'm likely to be able to use
a computer that has 2 USB ports so I can plug in the card reader and
the little "thumb" thing and store some photos on it.

or, am I likely to be able to use the computer at a cybercafe with the
card reader to copy photos onto a CD?

thanks for any advice on someone who has done this while traveling.

SCD
3 answers Last reply
More about using cybercafe clear full camera cards

    SCD wrote:
    > 3 of us will be traveling for 2 weeks in the UK and Cologne area of
    > Germany and each of us has (sigh) a different digital camera that each
    > takes a different style card.
    >
    > I am not taking a laptop. I worry about filling up the cards on our
    > cameras.
    > My Nikon uses CF cards
    > D's Nikon has SD card
    > L's Fuji is XD or something like that (teeny card)
    >
    > I have several CF cards since all my various Nikons have used the same
    > card - I have 2 x 512MB and 2X-128MB, so I'm likely to be OK.
    >
    > L. has 1X128 and 1X512 and D. has 1X512.
    >
    > I am thinking to take along my little (very small and slim) "card
    > reader" that reads all 3 types of cards and the little "thumb hard
    > drive" Lexar thing that is 1 GIG.
    >
    > I am wondering if I go to a cybercafe if I'm likely to be able to use
    > a computer that has 2 USB ports so I can plug in the card reader and
    > the little "thumb" thing and store some photos on it.
    >
    > or, am I likely to be able to use the computer at a cybercafe with the
    > card reader to copy photos onto a CD?
    >
    > thanks for any advice on someone who has done this while traveling.
    >
    > SCD

    I just came back from a vacation in Canada and Alaska.
    I went to a cyber cafe in Vancouver ($3/hr.) and downloaded my 512MB SD
    card to a CD. The Cafe owner had a Multi card reader and I brought my
    own blank CDs. I actually burned 2 CDs. I put one in my luggage and
    mailed one to my house in California. Bring a few mailers with you.
    If you bring your own USB card reader of recent vintage, Win Xp should
    recognize it and install a generic driver. You might bring along a few
    blank CDs just in case the cafe does not supply them.
    Bob Williams

    thanks Bob,

    I was just making "my trip list" and I put "3-4 CDs" on the list, now
    I will add "CD Mailer", too.

    And my card reader is new and if I run into WinXP I'll be in luck.
    It's so small and light that I'll take it along.

    I also looked at the 2 battery chargers and they are both marked
    110-240 volts, so I think I will only need a 2-circular prong plug and
    not a transformer.

    SCD

    SCD wrote:

    > thanks Bob,
    >
    > I was just making "my trip list" and I put "3-4 CDs" on the list, now
    > I will add "CD Mailer", too.
    >
    > And my card reader is new and if I run into WinXP I'll be in luck.
    > It's so small and light that I'll take it along.
    >
    > I also looked at the 2 battery chargers and they are both marked
    > 110-240 volts, so I think I will only need a 2-circular prong plug and
    > not a transformer.
    >
    > SCD
    >
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:17:16 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:
    >

    >>SCD wrote:
    >>
    >>>3 of us will be traveling for 2 weeks in the UK and Cologne area of
    >>>Germany and each of us has (sigh) a different digital camera that each
    >>>takes a different style card.
    >>>
    >>>I am not taking a laptop. I worry about filling up the cards on our
    >>>cameras.
    >>>My Nikon uses CF cards
    >>>D's Nikon has SD card
    >>>L's Fuji is XD or something like that (teeny card)
    >>>
    >>>I have several CF cards since all my various Nikons have used the same
    >>>card - I have 2 x 512MB and 2X-128MB, so I'm likely to be OK.
    >>>
    >>>L. has 1X128 and 1X512 and D. has 1X512.
    >>>
    >>>I am thinking to take along my little (very small and slim) "card
    >>>reader" that reads all 3 types of cards and the little "thumb hard
    >>>drive" Lexar thing that is 1 GIG.
    >>>
    >>>I am wondering if I go to a cybercafe if I'm likely to be able to use
    >>>a computer that has 2 USB ports so I can plug in the card reader and
    >>>the little "thumb" thing and store some photos on it.
    >>>
    >>>or, am I likely to be able to use the computer at a cybercafe with the
    >>>card reader to copy photos onto a CD?
    >>>
    >>>thanks for any advice on someone who has done this while traveling.
    >>>
    >>>SCD
    >>>

    >>I just came back from a vacation in Canada and Alaska.
    >>I went to a cyber cafe in Vancouver ($3/hr.) and downloaded my 512MB SD
    >>card to a CD. The Cafe owner had a Multi card reader and I brought my
    >>own blank CDs. I actually burned 2 CDs. I put one in my luggage and
    >>mailed one to my house in California. Bring a few mailers with you.
    >>If you bring your own USB card reader of recent vintage, Win Xp should
    >>recognize it and install a generic driver. You might bring along a few
    >>blank CDs just in case the cafe does not supply them.
    >>Bob Williams

    Sounds like you have it covered.
    Bon Voyage!
    Bob