New build, am I running enough power through my system? Please Help.

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
So I just completed my first build a little while ago. Everything works, but there's one problem. Whenever I turn the computer on, the power supply fan starts turning for a few seconds then dies out, and the computer won't boot up. Everything else works; the CPU fan, case fans, graphics card fan, etc. A friend is coming over today to take a look at it and see if there is anything super obvious that I did wrong, but I had a question that I thought I'd bring here.

Seeing as all of you, well most of you, know more than me, I was wondering if you could assess my built and tell me if I have a high enough watt-rated power supply for what I'm running, or if I need to get a higher one. Here's my build:

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: SilverStone Raven 3 RV03B Full Tower
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

The power supply I'm using for all of this is a Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply. If someone could take the time to look at this and tell me if I'm running enough power through my system or not, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you so much!
~Anticonfection :)

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
That power supply is more than enough :)

Its either a dodgy PSU and needs returning or you've missed something in the process of building. not sure what you could of missed tho.

other than 24pin + 8pin power cables, and made sure CPU Fan is In the correct header which should be marked on the board CPU_FAN usually

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
OP here. Alright, I see what you guys are pointing out but I didn't notice the extra 4pin connector because it was attached co closely to the 20pin and it looked like one plug. I found the 4pin header for the 4pin plug but there's a problem now. The reach isn't long enough for me to have both plugged in. Is it okay to but a little bit of the sheathing to get a little stretch, then patch up the extra with some electrical tape afterwards?

not familiar with that motherboard

but--it appears to have both an 8 pin and a 4 pin for the cpu

marked eatx12v and eatx12v 2

not sure if its necessary to both be connected in order to be able to boot

would have thought the 8 pin would be enough but without reading the user manual cant say for sure

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I wouldn't risk it on a good PSU i know you may want the system up and running but i'd buy an extension cable

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-000-BX

i cant see how the 4pin cant reach if the 20pin reaches but yeah get a extension is the best bet imo.

as Mcnumpty says if hes just looked at your board.. not familiar with that setup either. is the extra 4pin header not on the end of your 20pin header?

anticonfection

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

They are all occupied when I plug in the 20+4pin connector.

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
possibly

OP: Your psu will have a 20+4 Connector make sure they are connected together correctly and plug it into the 24pin header which is located near your DIMM slots.

& try and boot.