Sign in with
Your question

Pc hangs when gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 6:26:36 AM

Hi guys i really need some help here. My pc has a wierd problem of hanging when i'm playing games. It doesnt matter which game. When it happens the screen flickers, or turns black/green/white/striped. If it somehow recovers, the game crashes to desktop and there are artifacts all over the screen.
Now here's the good part: when it hangs i press reset button and then the problem is somehow fixed and i am able to play games for hours(all day long in other words). :bounce:  BUT as soon as its 11:30 pm(or around that time). it comes back again, just like before and i have to restart pc again. :fou:  I think this fact rules out any hardware problem. So if any of you pros could please tell me exactly what changes in the pc during that time period(like any revision of registry or deletion of saved settings etc) we can solve this problem i believe.
And sometimes it BSOD after the crash saying attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed. I have also sometimes recieved message bubble saying display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

Things that i've tried:
reinstalling video drivers using driver sweeper. updating drivers
updating chipset drivers.
Changing ram sticks(i have two so i tried testing with each stick separately)
Cleaning graphics card fan.
changing tdr values in the registry.
setting power usage to high performance.

My pc is just three months old and i have had this problem right from the start.
Specs:
intel 17 2600
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
ati radeon hd 6770
8 gb ddr3
cooler master 450 watt psu.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

More about : hangs gaming

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:32:48 AM

Sounds like the GPU is going, you will need to replace the GPU if you are having artifacts and different color screens. I would RMA the card, you can also try running a memtest to test the integrity of your RAM.
m
l
July 30, 2012 6:38:21 AM

Hi thanks a lot for replying. If the gpu is going how could it possibly run fine after restarting ?. I dont know i am no expert Maybe it can. i ve run windows memory diagnostics and it passed the test....
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:45:49 AM

GPU's can act that way, is the card overheating? You can run a Furmark Burn in test for about an hr and use MSI Afterburner and/or GPU-Z to monitor the temps.

If your card is dusty, clean it with a compressed air in a can to clean out all the dust, especially on/around the fan.
m
l
July 30, 2012 6:52:44 AM

When i check temp in ccc when gaming it never goes beyond 65 degrees. I've cleaned the card a week ago. its just three months old so rma should be easy. Ive considered it but deep in my mind i feel its a memory problem... if so what could be the case?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:56:30 AM

Since your RAM and such is good, then RMA may be the best option to avoid further frustration.

You can also try flashing/Reflashing the latest BIOS for your mobo and/or GPU. If you are not comfortable with flashing the BIOS, you can clear your CMOS (disconnect power, pull button cell battery from mobo, wait a few minutes, then put it back in).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:59:47 AM

It could be bad vram witch will not show up on a ram test. With the few cards that I had that had artifacts it has been down to bad vram just a thought.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:10:01 AM

Bryonhowley: bad vram means rma the card right??
el tigre: what do you mean by flashing/reflashing bios?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:14:36 AM

Flash the BIOS of your motherboard, your motherboards manufacture has the instructions and BIOS updates on their sites.

If it is the VRAM, then RMA is the best course of action. Furmark burn in test can help you determine that.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:25:43 AM

ok let me download furmark
m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:31:43 AM

as it happens in long game play it could be one of three things. you have a small case and have very few or no fans. the gpu not getting to hot but your mb chipset or another part may be having heat issue. if you have a small case try running with the side panel open and see if it changes. the other issue could be that the power supply in a game is being maxed out and over time it getting real hot and it loses the 12v rail or there a lot of ac ripple. you can try a hardware monitor program (hardware monitor) to log your temps and voltage and see if there locking up. also look at the windows error log for the error codes. see if a friend has a larger power supply for testing. the third could be a fan/bios issue with the gpu. gpu to keep them quiet have a fan profile built into the bios...the fan should ram as the gpu heats up..you should hear the fan when your gaming. you may need to use a third party tool to change the fan ramp. make sure it going at 100 percent. (and you hear it spin up). the last issue would be how good of parts did the video card maker use on building the card. under full load in eletronics you can get what called thermal runaway...as a part gets hot...start using more and more power..and keeps getting hot till it lock up or burns out.
most vendor will take the stock board and make it a little more better. if a vendor went cheap then under load the power cirut of the video card might not be able to take the load and the cards locks up.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:46:28 AM

smorizio said:
as it happens in long game play it could be one of three things. you have a small case and have very few or no fans. the gpu not getting to hot but your mb chipset or another part may be having heat issue. if you have a small case try running with the side panel open and see if it changes. the other issue could be that the power supply in a game is being maxed out and over time it getting real hot and it loses the 12v rail or there a lot of ac ripple. you can try a hardware monitor program (hardware monitor) to log your temps and voltage and see if there locking up. also look at the windows error log for the error codes. see if a friend has a larger power supply for testing. the third could be a fan/bios issue with the gpu. gpu to keep them quiet have a fan profile built into the bios...the fan should ram as the gpu heats up..you should hear the fan when your gaming. you may need to use a third party tool to change the fan ramp. make sure it going at 100 percent. (and you hear it spin up). the last issue would be how good of parts did the video card maker use on building the card. under full load in eletronics you can get what called thermal runaway...as a part gets hot...start using more and more power..and keeps getting hot till it lock up or burns out.
most vendor will take the stock board and make it a little more better. if a vendor went cheap then under load the power cirut of the video card might not be able to take the load and the cards locks up.

It happens immediately after i start playing when i first start up my pc for the day(anywhere between 10 mins to 45 mins). when i reset then i can play for many hours and at about 11:30 pm it once again locks up every day. its like a daily routine. my case is midsize coolermaster and its not a heating issue since i check temp regularly when gaming. That pc deosn't even have internet connection for viruses(i m commenting from my internet pc)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:49:24 AM

It could be an issue with your mobo BIOS, try clearing the CMOS first (disconnect power, pull button cell battery from mobo, wait a few minutes, then put it back in).
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:52:55 AM

El Tigre said:
It could be an issue with your mobo BIOS, try clearing the CMOS first (disconnect power, pull button cell battery from mobo, wait a few minutes, then put it back in).

i will try that after running furmark.
m
l
July 31, 2012 10:20:16 AM

Okay i ran furmark burn in test for about an hour(1280x720) 0x msaa. everything was fine. no artifacts,no flicker, lockups, nothing. temp went upto 92 degrees. thats all. so does that rule out any gpu problems?
m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 9:47:09 PM

check to see your mb bios is up to date.. a lot of newer mb need a code update for ib cpu's. also download cpu-z and gpu-z see that your ram running at it right speed and timing. with gpu-z make sure your mb reading the card and the pci bus speed right.
the last issue could be your 430w power supply 12v leg may not be holding. under full stress it crashing or doing a lot of ac ripple. i would if the bios update does not help see if someone has another ps you can use for testing.
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:58:40 AM

how do i update bios? do i need an internet connection? that computer doesnt have it. ive heard bios update is ver risky but yes at startup it says press f7 for bios update(intel splash screen)
cpu-z-memory readings:
type ddr3
channels single (eh? i have two sticks)
dram frequency 665.3 mhz
fsb dram 1:5
cycle time 24 clocks
CR : 2T

everything seems fine in gpu-z

m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 10:23:06 AM

check the slots there in to the mb guild. most new mb it the same color slots are the a and b bank. most people put two dimms in the first two slots..most time that put one dim in the a bank the other in b bank for single channel mode.
also i see you have the bios set to over clock not stock. fsb speed should be set to 1:1
put the asus over clock back to standard. then go into the ai tweeker under dram speed change it to xmp profile. you get the max speed out of your ram without screwing up the bus speed.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:59:22 AM

my mother board is completely intel. could you please explain the procedure? should i go to bios? where is ai tweeker?
m
l
!