leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
hi

i have been facing this issue for a while now, wheneven i switch on my pc it says "no display" on monitor, and then if i switch off and switch on the main switch or the psu switch it starts to work but i have to be be quick to toggle on and off or it wont work. when playing game or even checking WEI the display signal is lost and i have to restart using the above menthod.

i thought the issue was with my graphics card so i did RMA of my zotac gtx 560ti , new card worked ok for 2days and same issue started besides my motherboard and ssd are all new, the same issue was faced when using old mobo and my hdd. i am quite sure the issue is not with processor because it has not given me any issues and is stable even when under load as i have run several runs of intel burn test and were succesful.

i am not sure if the issue is with psu or my home power. or if its actually a graphic card issue.

kindly advise what tests i can do to determine the fault as i have tried all the possible checks i can think of, the only other option is to take it to a professional which will require time and money and i cant spare none at the moment.

thanks

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

hi, thanks . what should i be looking for on speccy , i use hwmonitor to check temps which shows the voltage as well, but i am not sure what to look for..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BV2exJ6D-YV1l8nG1fzuAngqUI0Kr_LmMUXKmcIZgOU/edit

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

MS Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom II X4 965 4
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2827MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASRock 970 Extreme3 (CPUSocket)
BenQ E2200HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (ZOTAC International)
112GB Corsair Force 3 SSD ATA Device (SSD)
LG dvd drive

above are my pc specs and there is no overclocking done of any sort.
thanks

Assuming you are only using the GTX 560 for display, your wattage won't exceed 500, so the PSU is adequate. For some reason (Perhaps no sensors) your Rail volts not listed on HW monitor. Perhaps try Speccy and see if they are listed under Motherboard... otherwise you'd need a multimeter...

Correction! Your CPU is the 965 version, (I used 9650 wattage) and that requires 140W, pushing your Wattage up to around 600, so your PSU is working on it's limits, not good...

Probably best to post your specs in CPU & Components/Power Supplies and get advice from the Gamers, they'll be able to advise you on which PSU to get. I expect the Corsair 750W would suffice, but expensive!

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

thanks for the advise. i guess that explains why the display wont work when pc is switched on i guess all components work at max power when powered on before settling down and that strains the psu..never thought gs600 might be under powered for my build

Consumption of modern machines creeping up all the time. I'm building one for my daughter as she needs it for Video editing at Uni, just splashed out £100 for a 850 W PSU... Out of interest, do you have 2 GPUs plugged in although you're only using one? (Speccy reports your PCIexpress slots in use) If you have, pull one, not that I really expect it will help that much!

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

i am using only one gpu. should i update bios if mobo is reporting false info

Whilst it's wise to keep the BIOS up to date it won't affect what's being reported. Seems there are no sensors on your Rail voltages as they don't appear in Speccy either,which is a pity as it would have shown up any inadequacies in the PSU.
This is my Motherboard showing the 12v,5v and 3.3v rails
http://prntscr.com/fulaf