Sign in with
Your question

Will GTS 450 bottneck dual core e5700 3.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 6:53:45 AM

hey guys i want to buy gts 450 will it bottleneck my pc plz reply
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:01:30 AM

It should be fine for the most part, you can try OC the CPU to offset any bottlenecks. Make sure your PSU can handle the card, what is the brand and model along with watts of your PSU?
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:12:40 AM

i have crosair cx 500 psu
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:15:42 AM

You will be fine with that PSU. OC'ing the CPU is still a good option to decrease any bottlenecking with that card.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:27:47 AM

how much overclock will be good and safe for me?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:33:45 AM

At least a 3+ GHZ for the CPU would be fine, if you can OC to 3.5ghz, that would be even better, but I do suggest you get an after market CPU cooler to help with the temperature rise associated with OC, I highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, it's cheap and offers great cooling comparable to $60+ coolers.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:35:23 AM

El Tigre said:
At least a 3+ GHZ would be fine, if you can OC to 3.5ghz, that would be even better, but I do suggest you get an after market CPU cooler to help with the temperature rise associated with OC, I highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, it's cheap and offers great cooling comparable to $60+ coolers.

If the EVO is too expensive though, I would also recommend the 212+.

The processor you have is old, but it should get the job done fine.
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:41:51 AM

if i not overclock it will be fine and what about gtx 550 ti will it bottleneck my pc?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:43:09 AM

It used to be about 10 smackaroos more a while back, the current price is why I jumped on it to give more life to my aging i7 920. But because of my 1333 RAM, I have a stable 3.8 GHZ OC, still fits my needs in BF3 at Ultra with 60+ FPS constant with my GTX 670. I was not too impressed with the X79 platform, I will wait till next year to upgrade my mobo/CPU. At least my Mobo does true x16 for both cards in SLI because of the X58 chipset. I use my GTX 560 Ti on my x4 slot for PhysX duty, I plan to get another GTX 670 soon for Unreal Engine 4 games. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:45:39 AM

game-lover said:
if i not overclock it will be fine and what about gtx 550 ti will it bottleneck my pc?

If you are buying a GTX 550 Ti, I would recommend the HD 6850 as that GPU cost the same and would out perform it, you will see some bottlenecking with both GPU, but not world ending hair pulling performance hit, lol

I still recommend OC your CPU to help mitigate the effects of bottlenecking.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:53:28 AM

El Tigre said:
It used to be about 10 smackaroos more a while back, the current price is why I jumped on it to give more life to my aging i7 920. But because of my 1333 RAM, I have a stable 3.8 GHZ OC, still fits my needs in BF3 at Ultra with 60+ FPS constant with my GTX 670. I was not too impressed with the X79 platform, I will wait till next year to upgrade my mobo/CPU. At least my Mobo does true x16 for both cards in SLI because of the X58 chipset. I use my GTX 560 Ti on my x4 slot for PhysX duty, I plan to get another GTX 670 soon for Unreal Engine 4 games. :) 

Sounds pretty exciting! I'm probably going to leave my rig the way it is until something either goes bad or I cant play something. You've got a good motherboard though, very good and your processor isnt that bad.

I'm actually looking to do a Physx setup, but I'm skeptical of it working, and I'd need a card that doesnt require a 6-pin. Prolly a GT240 or 640, but the 640 is expensive. I play ALOT of Mafia II (I think I have over 200hrs logged)

As for the question, if you are going to shell out for a 550Ti, you may as well shell out for the 6850, since its faster for about the same price. The 550Ti is about the same speed as a 6770, which is cheaper.

You might see bottlenecking, but not too bad.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 8:04:24 AM

Deemo13 said:
Sounds pretty exciting! I'm probably going to leave my rig the way it is until something either goes bad or I cant play something. You've got a good motherboard though, very good and your processor isnt that bad.

I'm actually looking to do a Physx setup, but I'm skeptical of it working, and I'd need a card that doesnt require a 6-pin. Prolly a GT240 or 640, but the 640 is expensive. I play ALOT of Mafia II (I think I have over 200hrs logged)

As for the question, if you are going to shell out for a 550Ti, you may as well shell out for the 6850, since its faster for about the same price. The 550Ti is about the same speed as a 6770, which is cheaper.

It's exciting indeed, I'm surprised my aging system still can keep up with today's rigs for the most part. It's amazing that a nearly 4 year old chipset (X58) still performs well. Your PSU should be able to handle a GTS 450 as that is the sweet spot for Physx duty. Your PSU pushes enough amps if you use a Molex to PCI-E connector adapter since you have a single GPU currently. Just make sure the adapter is running by itself off the Molex rail. My GTX 560 Ti gives me about 13 FPS more in Batman AC over using my GTX 670 alone and about 15 FPS in Metro 2033. I still have not installed Mafia II since my SSD is nearly full, have too many games in my Steam account, lol. The GTS 450 should yield similar results as my GTX 560 Ti (Many folks consider my 560 to be overkill, but it's from my previous SLI setup, might as well use it, lol.) You can find a new GTS 450 for about $80 on newegg or even 50 bucks or less used on Craigslist. I personally think it's worth it if you really care about PhysX in Mafia II. Your current mobo/CPU still has plenty of life and should last you for a good while. :bounce: 
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 9:00:49 AM

Eh I'm not suprised, the 920 is still pretty quick, and you have a pretty good card in there, not to mention a GTX670. The thing with my case and motherboard though is the way I have it set up, the last PCI-E is on the bottom of my case. I've got an NZXT Vulcan as well as a M-ATX board. Unless I can find a single slot 450 (which shouldnt be that hard) I'm stuck with single slot stuff. I've also got alot of other Physx games, and I've just been wanting to say "I've done it." I would say that the 560Ti is kinda overkill for Physx, but might as well right?

I don't plan on upgrading anything in here at least 3 or 4 years or so. Maybe the card if the 6950 really starts to have to work hard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 9:27:54 AM

Ahh, I see, I couldn't find any single slot GTS 450's, so this is your best bet if you are willing to spend the money for it, all the other GT 640's are dual slot cards. This is the only single slot card I could find that is powerful enough to make a difference for PhysX duty. My 920 does perform well for the most part. I was even thinking about getting a 990X since a buddy of mine is going to upgrade his rig to a X79 soon and told me he will sell his CPU for $300, I may really consider it to give my X58 mobo more life (Upgrade around late 2013/early 2014). I would have to choose that or the second GTX 670, not sure which one to go for, lol.

PhysX makes a huge difference in the games that support them, you will love all the effects like debris and such, it adds to the realism and immersion. The GT 640 also requires no PCI-E power connector and would be less load on your current PSU over a GTS 450 and has enough Cuda cores for a big difference in PhysX duty. Your HD 6950 would really appreciate the help in PhysX games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By looking at your case, it looks like another dual slot card could fit in unless you have another card under the first one. If you can fit the GTS 450, then go for it as it's cheaper than the GT640.

m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 1:15:19 PM

Deemo13 said:

Just get a cheap 8800/9800gt and don't look back. Used mine as physx just for mafia 2 and average load was usually around 27% while spiking up to 60% at times.
The GT240 is the next best card in line or a 9800gt eco.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 10:50:30 PM

I've got a board that looks like this:

The other PCI-E is on the bottom of the board, so I am not able to put a dual slot down there. Although what I do have is a single slot 8800GT, but it has artifacting issues, so I'm not sure if the card will actually work. It still runs and all, but just has artifacts on the display. I mean the Physx card doesnt have to have a display output anyway right? This is why I have been confused.

I also have a 9600GSO, but I feel thats a tad slow, and either way its the XFX model, so it has the really loud obnoxious fans. I've already got a loud obnoxious fan on my reference 6950.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 11:08:16 PM

4x is enough for physx but haven't gotten around to testing how it impacts physx performance. If the 9600gso is an older model that being the 192bit version and is a G92 it will work just fine. As for the fan there is solutions to that problem. I don't know the condition of your 8800gt but you could give it a try and see if it runs physx stable without crash.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 12:19:51 AM

I was actually thinking of trying that. I'll try my 8800GT. Is there anything other than the card that I would need to run Physx? I've heard of some drivers I need to use but I dont know where to find them.

I'm going to try the 8800GT, and if that doesnt work, then I might just go without it until I can find a working one. Those G92 cards are good.

And the GSO I have is the crappy G94.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 12:50:38 AM

Oh my the G94 :s

All you need is current forceware and a hack. A quick google search will lead you to finding some good online guides and some easy to install hacks that allow the use of nvidia cards alongside with amd/ati cards.

It will work and that g94 as it is has a lot more power in physx than any current cpu to date but that 8800gt is so much better. If the vram isn't shot and the power vrm is still good it will work just fine.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 4:14:30 AM

Well, I plopped in my 8800GT 512, and while the fan is spinning at the highest it can go, and Windows is not detecting the card.

My Radeon works fine though. I will keep fiddling with it.
m
l
!