Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Graphics Card showing artifacts, is it dying?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 6:53:57 AM

hi everyone,

I have a computer with an HD 7950 I bought a month ago and it suddenly started showing artifacts today in Crysis 2. I posted a video of it up on youtube, and you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XXPv7iwLI

I'm wondering if there could possibly be some other cause other than a video card failure, since this is relatively new and I didn't expect the video card to have problems so soon.

More about : graphics card showing artifacts dying

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:58:40 AM

First, test it with Furmark under Burn in for about an hr and use MSI Afterburner and/or GPU-Z to monitor the temps to see if it's overheating. You can also try reinstalling the GPU driver, make sure you uninstall the current first, reboot, then install the latest.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:36:19 AM

What temps do you have?

What's your power supply?

And as El Tigre has said you can also re-install the drivers.
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2012 3:11:26 PM

Temps are around 81 degrees, and my power supply is a Corsair 750W. I did an uninstall/reinstall of my drivers and the problems still persist.
m
l
July 30, 2012 3:32:23 PM

you are not overclocking it are you? I've seen similar artifacts when overclocking at the absolute verge of stability and pushed just a bit too far.
m
l
July 30, 2012 3:37:34 PM

I was overclocking it, but when I took the video everything was at default settings.
m
l

Best solution

a c 197 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 6:19:04 PM

Faulty card, time to RMA it.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

New items tend to fail early in their lives, once they've done a few dozen hours work without problems, they'll usually go on for years.
Just your bad luck, mate.
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 10:33:22 PM

I would just RMA it as well honestly.
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:34:19 AM

Best answer selected by carbonfountain.
m
l
!