Complete Graphics Card Noob - Manual?

Hoggorm

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I'm a real noob regarding graphics cards... In my computer I have a HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB card and I do not understand how I can optimize it.

I'm unable to find any manuals anywhere except the Quick Installation Guide.

I have downloaded the latest driver 12.6 (as far as I know).

I have installed Catalyst Control Center but no manual has been found. What do I use this program for?

I have also installed a program called i HIS iTubo. No manual for this software either... This program seems to somewhat the same as Catalyst Control Center, so what is the difference? What does this program do?

Should I uninstall one of them?

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Optimize as in make it go faster? You could try overclocking. There are some guides online read as many as you can before attempting anything.
That card is a good one are you not happy with it's performance?

Hoggorm

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
I was not actually thinking about overclocking...

I was just thinking about a manual that describes the various features of the card.

I have experienced some stuttering/lag in a game that's more than a year old. I would perhaps not expect this..? This is the reccomended system requirements for that game:

Operating system 64-bit: Windows Vista and 7; Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400, AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better; Memory: 4GB; Hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C; requires internet activation

My system is:

ASUS P9X79
Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
Corsair HX 850W PSU
HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Intel® Air Cooling

My question is really: How can I be sure the graphics card is running optimally?

Also - those two programs I mentioned. What are those and what do they do? Catalyst Control Center and HIS iTurbo

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
If the game is GTA IV don't worry it's a common problem.
You can try running a GPU benchmark program (like 3D Mark or Unigine) and compare results to those find on the internet. If the results are much different then something is wrong.

Catalyst Control Center (CCC) is a software provided by ATI along with drivers. It contains many tools and utilities like display customization,setting hotkeys,overclocking,etc.

I haven't used HIS iTurbo but I think it's basically the same thing as CCC but made by another company. It probably has other functions that I'm not aware

Hoggorm

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
The game is DCS: A-10C and I'm very sure there must be something wrong...

I've created a new thread called HIS Radeon 7950 regarding this issue