Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Need to find a graphics card that will work!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 8:45:48 AM

Ok, so a couple of months ago, I managed to build my own computer. I was on a tight budget, so two things I did not invest much money in at all; were the case and PSU. The one thing I didn't have enough money for, however, was the graphics card.

These are the parts I bought (Excluded case cooling and splitter cables):

ASUS M5A78L-M LE Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz CPU (Unlocked a 4th core if that's of relevance)
2 sticks of Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory
WD 250GB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue Hard Drive
Casecom 7720 Black Mid Tower Case with 450W PSU
Samsung SH-D163C 16x DVD-ROM SATA Optical Drive

PSU Info:

+3.3v +5v +12v -12v -5v
28A 34A 14A 0.8A 0.5A

Alright, now onto the graphics card.
My PSU does not come with a 6-pin power connector, and I don't really want to buy a new one if it isn't necessary. So, I was looking at cards that did not require an external power connector, and found the Radeon 7750
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

I've read from a lot of places that the typical load for this card is only 55 watts, so that being, here is my systems amp usage (Excuse me if I've calculated wrong, I'm pretty much a novice):

CPU: 95 watts 95/12 = Approximately 8A
Card: 55 watts 55/12 = Approximately 5A

So that leaves 2A, but would that be enough to power the rest of my system? Bear in mind that my DVD Drive is in fact not a burner. So would that help at all?

So, my question to you is this; could this run on my setup? If not, would there be any similar cards that could, or would I need a new PSU?

Thanks,
Luke James.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 8:49:20 AM

Yes, the HD 7750 would be the best choice. Your PSU has enough amps to push the card.
Related resources
!