Stumped; Random Freezes, Mouse Unresponsive, Buzzing Sound

addnon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I've been having this issue with my three month old HP Envy 14 notebook for a few weeks. Sometimes when I'm playing games (Skyrim, Starcraft 2) or watching a movie on WMP the computer will just lock up. No mouse, no keyboard, and a strange buzzing noise. The only option is to restart. This is exactly what the buzzing sound is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-msujgDmsU

Also, it has happened a few times while doing non-graphics intensive tasks such as using Google Chrome or Microsoft Excel which makes me think its not related to the video card.

The frequency of the freezes is very random. It's only happened about a dozen times, but I have this problem on another desktop quite frequently so I'm not sure if its HP related.

Here's a quick overview of my system:
• HP Envy 14 Beats Edition Notebook
• Windows 7 x64
• i5-2430
• Radeon HD 6630 switchable graphics
• 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
• 80GB SSD (OS)
• 500GB Conventional HD (Games)
• Stock BIOS settings; not overclocked

Attempted solutions:
• Updated ATI drivers
• Reinstalled sound drivers
• Uninstalled Antivirus
• Ran Memtest86+ for 6 hours; 5 passes (no errors)
• Windows Event log shows nothing in particular (http://i.imgur.com/3LEi1.jpg)
• Used CoreTemp to monitor temperatures - nothing out of the ordinary (45-55 on idle, 65 max when gaming)

Ideas?

addnon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Well its out of the RMA period, but still under warranty. I have heard so many horror stories about HP service so I'd rather not send it in if I don't have to. Figured I'd consult some expert advice.

addnon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Per the HP documentation:

The HP Home & Home Office Store will accept returns or exchanges for this product up to 21 days after delivery

This period has passed.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
return and exchange is not for repair of defective unit under warranty,they use that if your not satisfied with your purchase.but the should fix it under legal warranty time of 1 year go where you bought or a hp service center with purchase invoice and a copy of it but keep the original,to have it repair from them it up to you