Flozzo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hey all, a week ago I built my own gaming rig, but so far it has given me more lag/troubles than my previous pre-build.
I am getting really bad lag/fps drops in COD:MW3 (which I'd say isn't the most intense game ever) and Skyrim. My average FPS in skyrim is about 30 and COD maybe 40. My (potentially relevant) specs are:

Intel Core i5 3570K (Runs mostly at 1.6GHz according to CPU-Z?)
Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77 Motherboard
Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 996995 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 (shows up as 666.8 DRAM Freq = 1333MHz in CPU-Z?)
ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5
Seasonic M12II 650W 80+ Bronze PSU

Any suggestions to find out what is causing this or solutions, as this is making my games quite unplayable.
I have already tried:
- reinstalling GFX card drivers/installing beta drivers
- enabling/disabling Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Try OC your CPU. Also run a memtest to test the integrity of your RAM. You should be getting much better performance out of the GTX 670. I have no issues and can even play BF3 at ultra with AA and such maxed out with constant 60+ FPS with VSYNC @ 1080p.

Flozzo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Guys, ignore the 1333MHz part. It was set wrong in my BIOS >.> I also don't think OCing should make much of a difference tbh, although if I really can't think of anything else... The RAM is brand new and should be working fine, doubt its defective.

Flozzo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Ill try to run it in my old PC tomorrow if it fits, till then any other suggestions are welcome

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Just because it's brand new does not mean it's flawless, there are defects you know.

Did you even bother running a memtest? You would be surprised that RAM also plays a critical role in the operation of your computer. Bad RAM can lead to poor performance.

Also run a Furmark Burn In test for about an hr along with using MSI Afterburner and/or GPU-Z to monitor the temps to see if the card is overheating. Make sure your CPU cooler is mounted correctly and monitor the temps to see if it is not overheating too. These types of issues cause even the mightiest rigs to perform bad.

Flozzo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Sorry, might have come over as ignorant, I know memory failures exist, it just wasn't the first thing I thought of. Ill run a memtest as soon as I wake up to test. My temperatures on the GPU were quite alright as far as the ASUS ulitity showed me, but Ill look at that too.
Thanks for the replies