Closed Solved

Ga-z77x-ud5h and xfx-R7850 DD no PCIe graphics

I'm building a new system with ga-z77x-ud5h and xfx-R7850 DD.

I cant get the graphics card to work. I can get signal from internal graphics from MB, but no signal from the XFX on PCIe x16.

In BIOS i have tried disabling the internal graphics, but then i get no graphics (not in BIOS, not in windows).
I've tried setting the bios to use 'PEG' (PCI express Graphics) first, PCI first, internal first and auto. No signal on XFX in either case.

I've connected the to PCIe extra power cables, and even the SATA extra power coupling on the MB. No dice, still no signal on XFX.

I've tried placing the XFX in my old computer (Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P + AMD Phenom X4 9650), Voila! Graphics no worries, BIOS and Windows!

I've tried my old graphics (Radeon HD 4890 1) in new computer, and voila! Graphics.

I've tried putting the XFX in PCIe x8 and x4. No luck.

Getting frustrated here. Any suggestions?

System:
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0)
XFX Radeon HD7850 (2GB)
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD
39 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about z77x ud5h r7850 pcie graphics
  1. Double check that both of your 6-pin PCIe power connectors are firmly attached to both the HD7850 and your power supply (PSU).

By the way, what make/model of PSU are you using in the new rig?
  2. It's scarey when someone lists all their parts except the most important one.

Could have a bad pci-e slot on the mobo, have you tried another one?
  3. geekapproved said:
    It's scarey when someone lists all their parts except the most important one.

Could have a bad pci-e slot on the mobo, have you tried another one?

Seems the OP did mention that by installing a HD4890 successfully in the new rig (that is way I read it anyway).

Looks like he also tried various slots.
  4. Yeah I missed that.

But I wonder if he mistakenly plugged into the mobo and that's why he got graphics?
  5. geekapproved said:
    Yeah I missed that.

But I wonder if he mistakenly plugged into the mobo and that's why he got graphics?

Understood. Still waiting for the OP to respond.
  6. Thx for quick replies

PSU: Seasonic X-760 X-Series 80 Gold 760W

I have used two different powercables to the card and used two different output connectors on the PSU. (And my old card had no worries with the cable and initial output selection.)

The powercables are correctly connected.
  7. Your not answering the questions.

Is it possible when you installed the 4890 that you accidentally plugged the monitor into your motherboard instead of the video card and that's why you got video?
  8. Werecat said:
    Thx for quick replies

PSU: Seasonic X-760 X-Series 80 Gold 760W

I have used two different powercables to the card and used two different output connectors on the PSU. (And my old card had no worries with the cable and initial output selection.)

The powercables are correctly connected.

Good PSU choice.

Did your GPU ship with any molex to PCIe adapter cables? If so, have you tried those vice the PCIe cables plugged directly into the PSU?

Just grasping for straws at this point.

Also, is your motherboard BIOS up to date and current?
  9. I think a Z77 bios is up to date. LOL
  10. geekapproved said:
    I think a Z77 bios is up to date. LOL

Maybe, these new mobos come out so fast sometimes that they released with buggy firmware. The last couple of mobos I bought (both in my sig) had to be updated day 1 to maintain stability. My socket 2011 rig required a BIOS update just to get my GPU to work properly!
  11. Really? I buy budget boards, and since 1997 I've never had a reason to update the bios on my personal machine EVER. There's just never been a reason to.

However, I will soon because my current board requires a bios update for Ivy Bridge.
  12. Just rechecked. Old GFX-card; good videooutput from the GFX-card.

I'm not sure i understand the molex question. The GPU wasn't shipped with powercables. Im using the cables supplied with the PSU. I've tried both cables but to no avail.

Bios date; sept. 3 2012. (hell that was a suprise).

As a side note. I've noticed that the BIOS doesnt remember when i save graphics init as PEG (ie. start with using the card in PCI express), when i have the XFX card installed, but do remember it when i have my old GFX card installed.
  13. Best answer
    Sounds like a defective HD7850 then.

BTW, some video cards ship with adapter cables that can be used to convert an old style 4-pin molex connector to a PCIe connector. Not a concern here.

I suggest returning/exchanging the video card.

Good luck!
  14. How can it be a defective HD7850, when it works fine in his other computer?? LOL
  15. What would you propose as the issue then?
  16. I don't know, it makes no sense, but it can't be the video card, power supply or motherboard cause he's already troubleshooted those.
  17. geekapproved said:
    I don't know, it makes no sense, but it can't be the video card, power supply or motherboard cause he's already troubleshooted those.

Agreed, that leaves the HD7850 having an issue. This is indeed an odd one, but I see no other option at this time.
  18. I'm having the exact same issue as the OP.

Using ud5h MB with flashed F14 bios (was shipped with F8). I get graphics with onboard (after a few cmos resets), was even able to install OS (ubuntu 12.04). However, when change bios settings like OP, everything is plugged in and working except video signal. I was even able to boot to OS because the of the MB codes. Unfortunately, I have to use the cmos reset to be able to reboot correctly and therefore lose the bios settings.

I also have a difficult time normal booting as the MB throws code 19 or just cycles on/off. I have to hit the reset button a couple times to get it to POST and boot to OS.

Thanks

Vid Card: evga GTX560ti
    16gb ram
    i5-3570k CPU
    PSU: cooler master 1000w
  19. fugisteve said:
    I'm having the exact same issue as the OP.

Using ud5h MB with flashed F14 bios (was shipped with F8). I get graphics with onboard (after a few cmos resets), was even able to install OS (ubuntu 12.04). However, when change bios settings like OP, everything is plugged in and working except video signal. I was even able to boot to OS because the of the MB codes. Unfortunately, I have to use the cmos reset to be able to reboot correctly and therefore lose the bios settings.

I also have a difficult time normal booting as the MB throws code 19 or just cycles on/off. I have to hit the reset button a couple times to get it to POST and boot to OS.

Thanks

Vid Card: evga GTX560ti
    16gb ram
    i5-3570k CPU
    PSU: cooler master 1000w

Were you also trying to use a HD7850 and ended up with the 560ti?
  20. COLGeek said:
    Were you also trying to use a HD7850 and ended up with the 560ti?

Nope...started with 560. I know the card works as I was using it just before this upgrade. Even tried an old Radeon HD 4870 laying around...nothing.

I've also tried the 560 in every pci slot. It's like the MB refuses to recognize a discrete graphic card. I'm typing this while using the onboard vid output. So everything else on the system is working. If I change bios settings to anything other than AUTO, I get booting issues.
  21. OK. Was just wondering. There may be an issue with the on-board (Lucid Virtu capable) video and the discrete graphics card in some mobos.

Gigabyte is usually pretty good at dealing with such issues via their BIOS releases.
  22. COLGeek said:
    Agreed, that leaves the HD7850 having an issue. This is indeed an odd one, but I see no other option at this time.

Dude your wearing me out lol......for the 3rd time, how can it be the 7850 when it works fine in another system???
  23. geekapproved said:
    Dude your wearing me out lol......for the 3rd time, how can it be the 7850 when it works fine in another system???

You have a point.

All other components seem to work, including the mobo even when another GPU is used. From fugisteve's input, there may be a compatibility issue with this series of mobos. Hard to tell, to be honest, because this is a popular mobo from a solid vendor and I am sure the vast majority of users are happy with what they have.

This could be an issue that needs Gigabyte's support to resolve.

At this point, I would verify that the F14 BIOS was installed before doing anything else:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4139&dl=1#bios

It seems that the F13 release addresses some compatibility issues, FYI.
  24. Hmm...very strange indeed. I would also try a bios update, or if you don't want to bother with that, swap the card out for a different model such or brand.
  25. Just a fast note before I leave for work. This is the second mobo (same model) I've been through. First one did nothing but cycle power and code 19. That's just using the onboard vid. Didn't even get a POST. RMA'd that one and now this, not much better but at least it POSTed and was able to use the onboard. Just ran down and bought an MSI mobo to swap out. I'll let you know what happens in the next day or so. My previous old mobo was Gigabyte (6yrs) and had no probs until I broke off a capacitor. Now this. Doh!
  26. Well, here's the results. Swapped mobo's to the new MSI GD65. Installed everything incl gtx560. Although, first using onboard vid just to make sure of the system POST. Powered up and BAM! straight into the BIO config on first boot. Tweaked a couple simple items, date/time, temp control, etc. The video was already set to PEG, so I figured save and reboot. Booted straight into the Ubuntu, no prob.
    Shutdown, swapped vid connections to the 560 and powered up. No problems into the OS. :))

I yelled ya bitches...that's what a mobo is supposed to do!

So it looks like gigabyte may have some issues somewhere (bios firmware, or poss bad batch of chips) that is causing incompatibility. I hope they find it soon. I do like gigabyte products but two mobo's and still not working has soured me for a while.

Thanks for some of the suggestions on this post. Every little bit helps.
  27. Well you seem to have hijacked this guys thread, hope he comes back.
  28. Still here, just been working, so no time for messing with the computer.

Im planning to flash bios with latest bios and see if that helps, even if my bios date is 3. sept. 12.

If that doesnt work, im calling the shop to see if i can get any refund or something. Just a bit in doubt whether to to try another HD78xx series og go for 560 ti.

I'll return with reuslts of BIOS flash.
  29. The other guy had same problem with GTX560ti. He changed out mobo and it now works.
  30. Werecat said:
    Still here, just been working, so no time for messing with the computer.

Im planning to flash bios with latest bios and see if that helps, even if my bios date is 3. sept. 12.

If that doesnt work, im calling the shop to see if i can get any refund or something. Just a bit in doubt whether to to try another HD78xx series og go for 560 ti.

I'll return with reuslts of BIOS flash.

Try the BIOS update first. As pointed out, a completely different GPU had the same issue.

I would engage Gigabyte directly for help AND/OR exchange the mobo for another at this point. Current analysis would point to the mobo as the problem and not the GPU.
  31. No dice. Flashed F14, but still no videooutput from the new graphics card.

Frustrating. Hoped BIOS flash would do the trick since F13 "improves VGA compatability".

I'm being pessimistic about contacting Gigabyte, since they'll probably claim it must be the GFX-card and XFX will claim its the MB. I bought them together at the same seller, and besides in Denmark its the seller that must provide support and/or exchange the product, but I, the buyer, must prove the fault. So i'm not hopeful about getting a refund from either.

Guess i'll check the market out for MBs (since it was the cheaper part).

The Z77 motherboard review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187-22.html) makes me consider the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 (since Biostar isn't sold in Denmark).

Thx for the inputs.
  32. Asrock actually makes pretty good components. Worth a shot.

Really sorry for all of your hassles. We feel your pain.
  33. Take it to them and show them that it doesn't work. Also tell them you know someone else that had the same problem with a 560ti and they changed to a different motherboard and it works.

They should be able to swap you a different board, if not, never buy anything from them again.

Asrock is way better than Biostar.
  34. Update:

Got the ASrock z77 Extreme6 this morning (paid extra to get it delivered on a saturday).

I installed the MB and booted the system while holding my breath... No dice. Still no graphics output in discrete card.
    In MB system overlook it didn't detect the card.

I noticed that when i selected PCIe2 (thats the x16 slot) link speed gen 1 i could detect the discrete card and there was graphics output on it.
    Since i wasn't about to run my new graphics card in gen 1 i tried flashing to latest BIOS... Now it wouldn't boot if i selected anything but 'auto' in PCIe2 link speed.

For good measure i tried it in PCIe x8 slot, but to no avail.

At that point i was more or less in homicidal mode. After cooling down (no deaths in the neighborhood, not even small pets, hell even GFs feelings were left unmolested), i've decided to try once again by buying another GFX-card.

Before i buy a new GFX card (considering a GTX 660 to switch category) i have a question;

Can i be certain that it's the GFX card thats to blame now? As i understand (and its right on my edge of understanding) the CPU does have something to say now with PCIe ports. Or have i misunderstood? Can it be the CPU thats somehow defect, and i'll have the same issue with my new GFX card?
  35. Just to specify;
    After flash it still couldn't detect the card.
  36. Best answer selected by Werecat.
  37. just found this post. I have the UD5H board with XFX 7850 GPU. Well, i am on my second GPU. Same issues - the new system worked great for 3 weeks then poof - no signal to the monitor. Thought it was the GPU and RMAd for another. In the mean time popped in an old GTX 9800 and it worked great. Integrated graphics worked too. Got my GPU back and popped it in...nothing. I called Gigabyte. The tech told me the bios settings to use (I was already using them). He said send the mobo in for warranty repair. I finally got so frustrated i took the whole system to a computer repair shop. Shop said that the PCI slot had an issue - either a short or voltage problems. He thinks it fried both my GPUs (he popped in a GTX 640 and it fried his too).

Now i am sending back my mobo and my refurbed GPU. Just bought an ASUS mobo. will use the repaired Gigabyte on my next build. Seems like a great board but it definately has issues.

Board: Rev 1.1 and Bios F14

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    I5 3570K CPU
    XFX HD 7850 2 gig GPU
    Samsung 840 pro SSD 128gig
    WD 1T 7200 RPM HDD
    Corsair Vengence Ram
  38. Was hoping to re-spark this conversation...still looking for answers if anyone can help.

I am on my 4th graphics card and 2nd mobo now. Still having the same issues. Gigabyte tested first board and says nothing is wrong but sent me a replacement board after a lot of resistance and hassle.

Just installed my 4th replacement on the GPU. The oddity of it is that i get signal for a week or two with no problems. Then the screen goes black and I restart the computer a few times and it works. Then, i will get the final black sceen with no signal and it is done. Very frustrating and still no solution.

Everything on the latest has been replaced:
    GPU - 4th replacement of the same model
    CPU - brand new (same model
    mobo - 2nd replacement of the same model
    PSU - brand new
    ram - the only thing that has not been replaced

Can ram cause issues with the signal from the GPU, or can if affect the GPU??
  39. Jump N said:
    Was hoping to re-spark this conversation...still looking for answers if anyone can help.

I am on my 4th graphics card and 2nd mobo now. Still having the same issues. Gigabyte tested first board and says nothing is wrong but sent me a replacement board after a lot of resistance and hassle.

Just installed my 4th replacement on the GPU. The oddity of it is that i get signal for a week or two with no problems. Then the screen goes black and I restart the computer a few times and it works. Then, i will get the final black sceen with no signal and it is done. Very frustrating and still no solution.

Everything on the latest has been replaced:
    GPU - 4th replacement of the same model
    CPU - brand new (same model
    mobo - 2nd replacement of the same model
    PSU - brand new
    ram - the only thing that has not been replaced

Can ram cause issues with the signal from the GPU, or can if affect the GPU??

Start a new thread, don't hijack an existing one, let alone one that's a year old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt BIOS Graphics Cards Graphics Systems