Pc black screen and freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello eveyone,
Today i was playing team fortress 2 for a little over an hour when my pc just suddenly froze and the screen turned black, the sound was also making a buzzing noise. I tried alt tabbing and ctrl alt del to no avail. So i went and pressed the restart button which didn't work so i went and held the power button until it turned off and turned it back on again, it booted up and gave me the option to start windows in safe mode and all and i selected boot normally, and it booted up fine, i started playing games again for half an hour and nothing happened. Can someone help me with my computer? I'm planning on running a GPU stress test tommorrow, but if i get some extra help now i'd be very useful. This has never happened before. My specs are:

Psu: Antec VP550P 550W Power Supply
Ram: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Cpu: Intel Core i5 3550
Gpu: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC
Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002
Mobos: ASRock B75M Motherboard

I built it myself so the problem might be static damage which i hope isn't. Also if you stress test your gpu and fry it is it still covered by warranty? Thanks for the help.

Edit: oh yeah, my OS is windows 7 professional and i built my pc a few weeks ago.

Solution
You R lucky to even run any game.Mine can't even run some exe. files!
Froze on Notepad,Firefox,Internet Explorer.Opening ATI CCC does the same!
When i delete Catalyst drivers and run onboard graphics,its not freezing.
My cpu is i5 2500 3.3ghz,gpu VFX radeon hd6850,8GB 1333 mhz ram,550w psu!
I think my gpu is busted after very little use in its 3 months lifetime,since its freezing on Burn In test for gpu and Furmark

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

It is 3 weeks old, and do you mean my gpu is overheating?

hyperbertha

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
This problem has been reported by LOTS of people with modern rigs.
Ive seen this on a lot of forums over the past few months. The reasons appear to be many. Let me list down some solutions that worked for them
1. changing psu.
2. reinstalling windows.
3.reinstalling drivers using driversweeper etc.
4. setting power usage to high performance.
5. changing tdr values in registry(not recommemded)
6. Replacing graphics card(very likely)
7.cleaning graphics card(not applicable to you since its just 3 weeks old)
8. changing voltage to gpu,cpu in bios.
9.changing ram.
10.downclocking gpu(very likely)

These are all i can remember right now.
Each of these solutions have varying rates of success for different people.For some any one of the solutions above have worked. i cannot guarantee any of it will work for you.

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Ok, i'm gonna be trying out the furmark stress test soon, but before i do if it fries is it covered by warranty? Also i just noticed something weird, my hard drive is becoming free on it's own, at first i thought i was just remembering the numbers wrong but it definantly is getting lower, before it was 340 gb used up and now it's 300 gb used up after a span of a week or so. I haven't been uninstalling anything, in fact i've been installing stuff so what is going on?

Edit: oh yeah and i downclocked my cpu from 975 to 900, should i lower it more?

edit: meant gpu not cpu

hyperbertha

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Try downclocking your >>GPU<<
try lowering it more and keep testing with each one. If you have another power supply test with that(but its HIGHLY unlikely that its your psu). But overclocked cards demand more power as far as i know and it might be getting tough for the psu to handle.
And is the space freeing up on only c drive? It happens all the time. temp files getting deleted and all that. but virus scan and chkdsk wouldnt hurt..................

Take pleasure in knowing that your problem is nothing compared to what most people i stated above are facing. they cant play games for more than ten minutes. your crash occurred only once and a after a long time right? see if it happens again. it might get more frequent in which case you problem is very .....problematic.
ps: whats your screen resolution?

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, i meant GPU sorry bout that i'll edit it, anyway i got round to doing the furmark stress test for an hour but because i forgot to turn off my screen saver it would turn on a few times and i would have to move my mouse, but i don't think it was on too long but i ran the stress test for 10 minutes extra just to make sure. Yeah, nothing happened during the test and i also used windows diagnostics on my ram and it the results said it was fine. I was doing the stress test at 1280 X 720, and my current resolution is 1400 X 1050. I haven't got round to re installing my drivers yet because i'm capped, but will do so soon.

Edit: oh yeah, and it was C: drive

Edit: i then went to play some tf2 and it proceeded to freeze up on me after 10 minutes so i restarted my pc and started tf2 again, it then froze within 5 minutes, but i left it on and it resumed again, so maybe it's just the game

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
well the other games i have problems with are is the first assassin's creed freezing and then not responding, and also saints row the third has a sort of flashing in the background when choosing clothes

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
today i was playing saints row third for a little under an hour when my screen just went no signal, but my pc was still in, but the music turned off and my keyboard wouldn't respond, i was pressing numlock and stuff and the lights wouldn't change. Also i pressed restart but my pc didn't respond, so i pushed the power button and my pc restarted. What is going on with me new pc@!?

Edit: Also is there some kinda program that warns me when my pc is getting close to overheating? Because i think this is the reason why my pc keeps shutting down. I have hwmonitor right now, but i'm dunno if it has this function or how to enable it if it does.

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
i've just had an idea, could my games be freezing because my ram in incompatible with my mobos? Because this might explain it. Please help, i'm really worried.
Edit: it's not always a black screen freeze either, i got a white and grey striped one once

vica1982

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
You R lucky to even run any game.Mine can't even run some exe. files!
Froze on Notepad,Firefox,Internet Explorer.Opening ATI CCC does the same!
When i delete Catalyst drivers and run onboard graphics,its not freezing.
My cpu is i5 2500 3.3ghz,gpu VFX radeon hd6850,8GB 1333 mhz ram,550w psu!
I think my gpu is busted after very little use in its 3 months lifetime,since its freezing on Burn In test for gpu and Furmark

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.