Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
**UPDATE**

So, I couldn't figure out where the problem was out, so I hooked up the monitor (since the speakers are in the monitor) to a different tower and it worked fine. So, my guess is...the audio ports on the mobo fried or broke or something? I don't know...

Does that seem like the problem? Or are there any other possibilities? Should I go buy them a sound card?

**UPDATE**

Let me go ahead and apologize for posting this in the wrong forum...I had no idea where this would go :p

Alright, so I gave my grandparents my old computer because it was collecting dust and was 100x better than what they had purchased back in 1800.

They have a monitor with built in speakers. Everything was working fine and about a month after I gave it to them, they said the sound wasn't working. When I open up the sounds properties, it says the speakers are not plugged in. So I unplugged them, hooked them back up. Rebooted. Nothing. Tried installing the audio drivers for the motherboard, nothing.

Now, I need some ideas on how I can fix this or what the problem might be, since they spend more time on youtube than I do playing video games. ;P

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Not yet. They live 2 hours away, so I'm just trying to figure out all the possibilities so I can be ready for everything, since it wasn't any of the simple fixes I tried this past weekend.

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
**UPDATE**

So, I couldn't figure out where the problem was out, so I hooked up the monitor (since the speakers are in the monitor) to a different tower and it worked fine. So, my guess is...the audio ports on the mobo fried or broke or something? I don't know...

Does that seem like the problem? Or are there any other possibilities? Should I go buy them a sound card?

**UPDATE**

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
It's useless responses like this on these forums that make me want to a slap people. If you can't answer the question or have insight on a problem, there's no reason in responding. I wasn't asking should I go buy them a sound card or a new motherboard. I was asking should I go buy them a sound card or am I missing something that might fix the current situation.

But I will thank you for taking the time to actually open my post, even if you didn't read it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Next time, when you’re at the computer, see if by wiggling the audio pin inside the jack up/down & sideways to see if there’s any spontaneous change in status. Possibly over the years of use the jack connection on the motherboard has loosened or could be a hairline crack just slightly missing out on connection.

If the audio chip itself has malfunctioned (ie; due to power surge) the operating system will not recognise and thus not install drivers.