PSU failure?

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello, I have a question for you all.

I recently encountered some failure which I thought was software based but then came to believe it was a mobo/PSU issue. I replace my mobo and PSU, however the new PSU cable was too short to reach my 8-pin CPU input so I am waiting on an extension cable for it. While waiting I decided to plug my old PSU to give it a shot and maybe it was a mobo problem. When I did this the computer booted up and was able to get to the BIOS. Before, it would turn on but nothing would come on the screen. After trying to continue past the BIOS, I have been having difficulty. When I try to boot into windows, I can get to the loading screen which is laggy and then blue screens out. When I try to boot into ubuntu, similar issues. When I try to boot ubuntu install CD, it freezes on the loading screen. All of this sounds like a PSU issue as once the load gets intense, it fails.

My question is first, what do you all think? Second, is there a way I can verify PSU failure through the BIOS? On the BIOS monitor it gives these results

VCORE voltage - 1.452 V
3.3V Voltage - 3.240 V
5V Voltage - 5.014 V
12 Voltage - 11.943 V
VDDA2.5V Voltage - 2.496 V

Thanks for all the help.

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

You beat me to it, I was just about to edit the post.

ASUS M5A99FX
AMD PH II X6 2.8Ghz AM3
EVGA GTX560
16gb G.skill Sniper DDR3 1333
Antec 750W Eathwatts PSU

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yes, the mobo I was able to get into the BIOS with is brand new. The old one I was unable to even get to the BIOS.

I did not, but I cannot boot the OS on three seperates HDDs or run an install disc without failure.

Hi :)

CD/DVD DRIVE OK ?

All the best Brett :)

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Like I said, I am not sure if anything is okay. I can sit in the BIOS for hours but once I try to run an install CD it crashes. If I try to boot into either of my Windows installs (on different HDDs) it crashes. If I try to boot into Ubuntu (also on a third and seperate HDD) it crashes.

Ummm HOW did you run a hard drive full test if you don't know if the dvd drive is ok ?

Run Hirens CD (boot FROM IT)

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I did not run it. I also cannot run it as I have no computer to burn that CD with.

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

It appears to be up to date. If it were not, I couldn't do much about it as I cannot boot CD's without crashing.

I am filling out a warranty replacement from Antec currently. I appreciate everyone's help, I just cannot imagine this to be any other hardware piece besides PSU with the issues going on.

ANTEC are high quality psus.. I sell them in my shops.... I SERIOUSLY doubt its the PSU...

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I realize that they are nice, but after 2.5 years PSUs fail.

What would you guess it is? I cannot imagine that my old Mobo failed one day and I got a defect that has a very similar issue as the old mobo when it died. I also think it would be a bit ridiculous for all three of my HDDs to fail at once.

That leaves PSU, CPU and GPU. I can rule out GPU, I think, because graphics come on and it would be strange if they only failed when the computer started. The CPU I have no idea but I am just guessing that isn't it. That is my thought process at least.

markmco

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

No sir. I bought another PSU but due to the 8-pin CPU cable not being long enough, I can not test it. I am still waiting on the extension cable. I suppose I could put in the PSU without screwing it in to make it make the cable long enough. I Haven't even thought of that.

I will have to do that on the morrow. I will get back with you all when I have done it to see what happens.