Solved

Audio Workstation/Light Gaming build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Audio
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2012 4:11:01 PM

Hi guys, I'm building a new budget friendly PC that'll primarily be used for audio work and some light gaming (nothing over 720p)

Components:
CPU: Intel i5-3470
RAM: GEIL Black Dragon DDR3 8GB 1333MHz (Very good price)
GFX: KFA² GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB
M/B: Asus P8B75V (Extra PCI slots required)
PSU: Coolermaster RS-525-PCAR eXtreme Power 2 525W (Budget much?)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 750GB (Samples etc.)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (OS/Boot/Sound apps)
Chassis: Zalman Z9 Plus (Looks cool and is very cheap)
Sound interface: M-audio Audiophile 2496

The PC will be in another room so I've purchased a few extension cables for the peripherals (Monitor, desktop, speakers) to lower the cost of getting silent components.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome :) 

Thanks

EDIT: No OC'ing will be done :p 

More about : audio workstation light gaming build

September 18, 2012 4:34:30 PM

You don't say where you are, or budget, which would help, advising on options. Still, a couple of "observations"
That RAM may be cheap, but you would be better getting 1600 MHz RAM
You mention extra PCl slots re mobo. As long as that's not for 2nd graphics card, that mobo doesn't support SLi. (it does Crossfire/with Radeon cards)
CoolerMaster don't have the best reputation, for PSU's (a lot of their other stuff is good). A good budget choice around that power is Antec Basiq, or XFX.
Vertex 3 is not particularly good (4 is OK). Samsung 830's, or Crucial M4 are best, if a little pricier.

Obviously, I don't know what you hope from PC, but the GTX550Ti is a particularly weak card, for most things. For a budget card, Radeon HD7770 is much better, and only slightly more expensive (and would suit mobo better, not that your actually likely to go crossfire, with budget cards). With that, given your resolution, most games will be playable, though mostly not at the higher resolutions.
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:34:42 PM

I would recommend the 7770 over the 550Ti, as it is newer technology, uses less power, and it faster for the same price (or a couple more bucks).

And what is the computer you have now going to be used for?
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 4:48:32 PM

@ Malbluff
I live in South Africa, prices here are much more expensive than in the US - I've read that 1600MHz sees no real world performance increase unless you're OC'ing which I don't intend. The PCI slots are for other devices which I have laying around at home. And I won't be doing any serious gaming by a long shot as it's more of a "when I have nothing else to do" (Monitor only goes upto 1360x768 anyway :p ) - As with the vertex 3 I've read reviews concerning the negligible difference in performance vs the vertex 4.

@Deemo13
My current PC got stolen :/ 

@Both
The 7770 shall be considered :) 
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:58:59 PM

songoku619 said:
@ Malbluff
I live in South Africa, prices here are much more expensive than in the US - I've read that 1600MHz sees no real world performance increase unless you're OC'ing which I don't intend. The PCI slots are for other devices which I have laying around at home. And I won't be doing any serious gaming by a long shot as it's more of a "when I have nothing else to do" (Monitor only goes upto 1360x768 anyway :p ) - As with the vertex 3 I've read reviews concerning the negligible difference in performance vs the vertex 4.

@Deemo13

@Both

I definitely agree with the consensus that the 7770 will be better than the 550TI. However if you're in South Africa - post your budget and the store that you'll be buying from as knowing local availability will help to suggest a system. If you don't know of any check the link in my signature.
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:23:12 PM

Thanks g-unit1111

I'll be purchasing all my components from the following store:
http://www.ikonicit.co.za/

Budget - R7700 (approx $940)
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:33:10 PM

Stolen! That sucks. Where from? It was probably pretty darn heavy.

And if they don't have the 7770, its not like the 550Ti is a horrible card or anything.
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:43:52 PM

Deemo13 said:
Stolen! That sucks. Where from? It was probably pretty darn heavy.

And if they don't have the 7770, its not like the 550Ti is a horrible card or anything.

Lol yeah I forgot to put on my alarm system @ home that night :p  - thank god for insurance.

The only snag with the 7770 is that it's approx R300 ($36) more than the 550Ti which I'll try to absorb :) 
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:56:07 PM

That's actually alot. If its that much more, it might not be all that worth it. Here in the states its like $5-10.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:32:24 PM

Hence my dilemma :p  btw that PSU - I just chose the cheapest I could find, would it serve as adequate for the build? I never did much research regarding it
m
l
September 18, 2012 8:03:42 PM

I would go for a better model, yes. Preferably an Antec,Corsair, Seasonic or the like.
m
l

Best solution

September 18, 2012 8:35:21 PM

Of the PSUs on that website, the one I'd choose would be the Corsair CX-500; it's not my first choice for PSU here in the states, but it's reliable, efficient, and affordable (especially compared to a lot of those other PSUs).
September 18, 2012 8:43:33 PM

songoku619 said:
@ Malbluff

@Deemo13

@Both

Re RAM: Ivybridge gives "native" support for 1600 MHz RAM, there's no need for "adjustment". Whilst there's not a large gain, in performance, between 1333 & 1600 RAM, there is some. In UK/USA there's so little difference in prices for RAM, it doesn't make sense not to use 1600 MHz. Of course, I don't know if that's true, in South Africa. Same thing, basically, applies to graphics card. IN UK/USA, the performance gain, with the HD7770, is worth OUR price difference.
m
l
November 4, 2012 8:40:47 AM

Best answer selected by songoku619.
m
l
November 4, 2012 8:41:40 AM

Thanks alot guys..I didn't know who to give the best answer to as they were all very helpful, but that PSU Was giving me quite a ride so I just gave it to that answer...THanks alot :D 
m
l
!