IR & Nokia 6100

Last response: in Brands
October 4, 2004 4:43:01 AM

I have just got a Nokia 6100 and want to connect to my PC through the IR
port. The phone is sold as having an IR port and it has an IR function
within the menu, but I can't see one on the exterior of the phone. I was
expecting to see a deep red plastic window but there isn't one. Where is it?
I need to know so that I can line it up with the computer IR port.

Thank you

Tom

More about : nokia 6100

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:51:21 AM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:43:01 +0000, Tom Tillson wrote:

> I have just got a Nokia 6100 and want to connect to my PC through the IR
> port. The phone is sold as having an IR port and it has an IR function
> within the menu, but I can't see one on the exterior of the phone. I was
> expecting to see a deep red plastic window but there isn't one. Where is it?
> I need to know so that I can line it up with the computer IR port.

It's on the side, top right, in the black area. About the same position
as the rocker buttons on the left side.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:10:25 PM

Thanks

Should there be a window in the side of the phone? My model just seems to be
solid black plastic.

Tom
"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.04.00.51.19.884000@grfpb.arg...
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:43:01 +0000, Tom Tillson wrote:
>
>> I have just got a Nokia 6100 and want to connect to my PC through the IR
>> port. The phone is sold as having an IR port and it has an IR function
>> within the menu, but I can't see one on the exterior of the phone. I was
>> expecting to see a deep red plastic window but there isn't one. Where is
>> it?
>> I need to know so that I can line it up with the computer IR port.
>
> It's on the side, top right, in the black area. About the same position
> as the rocker buttons on the left side.
>
> --
> Michael Turner
> Email (ROT13)
> zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
October 4, 2004 5:40:29 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:10:25 +0000, Tom Tillson wrote:

> Thanks
>
> Should there be a window in the side of the phone?

There is no obvious visible window as such.

> My model just seems to be
> solid black plastic.

Yup that's it. Although it looks like textured solid black plastic, that
is definately the infrared port. I used to have one of these phones, and
have transferred ringtones, games, etc. to it via infrared.

Have a look at page 20 of the your 6100 users manual, item 3 on side view.
PDF ver. available here:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,4838,00.html

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 8:37:13 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:10:25 GMT, "Tom Tillson"

>Should there be a window in the side of the phone? My model just seems to be
>solid black plastic.

If I remember correctly, it's directly opposite the volume control. It looks
black because it only allowe infrared light through, and you can't see that.

Quick tip. If you have a digital camera, or even a video camera, you can see the
infrared emmissions from the phone by looking at it through the camera.

Try it with a TV remote to see.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net